Access Point

Jamiers
Aspirant

Access Point

I recently purchased a R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router as an upgrade when my Linksys WRT610n bricked after a power outage.

My old setup was WRT610n to WRT160n (yes that is the correct models).  The WRT610n served DHCP while the WRT160n provided an access point in the farthest part of the house second floor (for better coverage).  I am looking to do a similar setup with the R6700.  I have CAT5e cable to the WRT160n right now.  What could I purchase in the line of Netgear products that would provide similar speed/functionality as the R6700 but serve solely as an AP in the second floor of the house.  No gaming... steaming media to a TV is part of the plan.

Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

Re: Access Point

Darn near any wireless router can be used like an access point. If the WRT160n generally fills the hole then you could continue using that. If you wanted a matched pair, so to speak, then a 2nd of the new one would be fine.
Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Dedicated WAC like the WAC505 or WAC510 are much more affordable, can be PoE powered, ... routers make very poor wireless APs as some aren't built using the hardware acelleration to all the router LAN ports. 

Message 3 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

Would you explain the relevance/impact of the point about hardware acceleration? Using LAN ports to connect WiFi routers to extend coverage is a pretty tried and true method.

On another note, repurposing/reusing existing hardware is exceptionally cost effective if it can get the job done.

Heck, I still use some WRT54G on DD-WRT to client bridge IP cams from garage to the house.
Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Whoaru99 wrote:
Would you explain the relevance/impact of the point about hardware acceleration? Using LAN ports to connect WiFi routers to extend coverage is a pretty tried and true method.

Appears Netgear was very lazy with the AP mode implementation of newer routers (probably specific to Broadcom platforms only): While older routers supported only the WAN port for AP mode, newer platforms support using all WAN and LAN ports. Plenty of reports and complaints about very poor performance on what is supposed to provide Gigabit Ethernet switch performance.

@Whoaru99 wrote:
On another note, repurposing/reusing existing hardware is exceptionally cost effective if it can get the job done.

The OP did not asked about a recycling project, much more about new purchase:

@Jamiers wrote:

What could I purchase in the line of Netgear products that would provide similar speed/functionality as the R6700 but serve solely as an AP in the second floor of the house.

@Whoaru99 wrote:
Heck, I still use some WRT54G on DD-WRT to client bridge IP cams from garage to the house.

If this legacy technology does fulfill your bandwidth requirements and the clients don't support anything decent, why not. My family would kill me 8-)

Message 5 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

The OP has been informed about the possibility to reuse what he has. Since we don't know him/her, perhaps the assumption was the components had to be the same brand, or whatever. I don't care what the OP chooses to do but is now informed of an option beyond the obvious buy something new.

Far as speed problem, best I can agree with is "maybe" but I've not seen it. Throughput of my LAN, through main router, 2nd router/switch, and standalone switches all test at full "gig" speed, considering overhead. See attached. 

About the WRT54G, yes, they work perfectly for this. Plenty of capacity to deliver live streams from three IP cams. There would be no point to replace them with something "better" because there wouldn't be any realized improvement in the purpose of their use.

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The problem is with some Netgear routers with built-in built-in LAN switch (as stated before typically Broadcom platofrms), not standalone switches. Your router model (unlikley Netgear) is not affected.

Message 7 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

The path is D-Link DGS-2208 switch <> Netgear R7000 as router <> Netgear R6700 as switch / AP.

As shown in the previously-linked screen snip the path facilitates 940Mb/s. Which, as you know, is "full" speed for Gigabit Ethernet.

Message 8 of 11
Jamiers
Aspirant

Hey All,

Thanks for your replies.  So... I guess the different responses confuse me a little bit more.  I will provide some additional information.  While I did use the WRT160n router as a switch, it was because it was servicing the other side of the house that was getting really bad signals.  I brought ethernet from my (now R6700) to the WRT160n which provides an AP and also 4 ethernet.  The ethernet has been used to go direct to the TV.  At the time, I picked up the WRT160n on a sale on Amazon not knowing how the proper setup of it.  Running a speedtest, I'm only getting (wifi) 40 Mbps at best through the WRT160n.  Since this is the living room, multiple devices are going to be hitting that AP and some new "under the Christmas tree devices" being added to the network on that port, I was just wondering what type of device I should trade up to it.  It is a matter of time before that one dies and since I was reconfiguring the network right now, I was just wondering what could serve as that additional solution.  I don't mind using another brand... just figured asking about Netgear in the Netgear community would probably be allowed (instead of talking about other brands).  I'm just looking for a good solution.  Also not looking to purchase anything more high-end than the R6700 that I have right now.

To those who have responded... THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge.

Message 9 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

Well, I don't really have much for specific recommendations because there are many things that could work very well.

If all you need is AP then something like was mentioned earlier might be the way to go. If you need LAN ports too then with dedicated AP you'd need a switch (maybe like GS305 if that's enough ports). Else pick a WiFi router that meets your bandwidth needs and use it for switch / AP as I do.
Message 10 of 11
Whoaru99
Apprentice

As well, bear in mind probably the biggest factor is what you need for/what you are doing wirelessly.

The router you have has 100Mb/s LAN ports but something like Netflix streaming requires only 5Mb/s for HD or 25Mb/s for UHD. So, if you are or plan to connect the TV by LAN then 100Mb/s link still is plenty for that.

40Mb/s is about right on the wireless side for that 160N unit so that is where an improvement might be beneficial, depending what you will do on the wireless at that end.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E