× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Access control cannot allow new devices from Blocking status.

Hello,

My setup:

Netgear Router Firmware Version: V1.0.2.28
Access control enabled and rule: Block all new devices from connecting.

The issue:

1. After attaching a new device - the router keeping blocking it and no matter what I do.

2. The router allowed the new device only if I do a factory reset.

3. After the factory reset I setup again the access control to block new devices.

4. But then and after attaching another new device - the same issue occurs and the router blocked the other new device for ever until again a factory reset.

These steps are not useful:

1. I checked the radio button of the new device and pressed: ALLOW.
2. After the router had refreshed, I am still getting that the new device is blocked.
3. I tried to edit the device button and changed from block to allow - still not useful and still the new device appears as blocked.

Simply I cannot allow a new device because the router blocked it forever.

I think this is a firmware issue, because it's not reasonable that I should do a factory reset after every new device that attached to the router.

It's very annoying.

Please your help.
Best regards.

Loui.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Access control cannot allow new devices from Blocking status.

Hello,

I have WNDR4500v2 with firmware V1.0.0.62_1.0.39 and the same issue that started after I upgraded firmware to the current version.

I can't get my new device Allowed so to use it I have to set "Allow all new devices to connect".

From time to time it is possible to get new device allowed but I can't tell why.

Please help me as it is really annoying that firmware is not working as designed and I consider to buy a router from other vendor.

Regards,

Bolo

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I hope someone from Netgear support is reading this post.

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi diralex,

Did it work with the previous firmware version? If yes, which firmware?

Hi Bolo2017,

Please post your issue under wireless N.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-wireless-n?topic-zoom=&so...

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi @JamesGL

I really don't know,  sorry.

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi, it doesn't look as though this got resolved.  I returned an R7800 as I believed this was a fault and the replacement is exactly the same. I have updated the firmware each time a one is released. As the OP found I can allow one new device after firmware upgrade but the problem returns. I have tried the Android Genie app and the Windows Genie app and neither resolves the issue and in fact seem to have their own versions of the device names rather than using a common version. This needs to be resolved otherwise I will be rejecting the second device and switching to another brand as it does not appear to be able to perform to spec. Customer Support didn't help.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I wonder why until now and after 4 updates, the issue is still unsolved.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Apprentice

I am having the exact same problem with a brand-new X4S R7800.  I cannot add new devices without disabling access control.  My firmware is V1.0.2.40, and I have tried a number of ways to get this laptop added to my network, all to no success. 

I am now forced to open up my security to let this device in.  This is a huge security exposure, and I think it's either in firmware or in Genie. 

I still have 6 days  to return my router to Best Buy, which I think I will be forced to do if there is no solution forthcoming.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes via wifi.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Access control is also necessary for wired connections - e.g. where powerlines are used.

Message 10 of 10