Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access control in AP mode

lunarr
Aspirant

Access control in AP mode

Dear all,

Due to some hardware issues with my excisting router, I both myself the Netgear R7800 router.

My previous router (Linksys WRT320N with dd-wrt installed) was set in access point mode behind the modem/router from my internet provider. The WRT320N send out the main WIFI and Guest WIFI network. The Guest WIFI network did not had access to the main network.

After some digging I noted that the Netgear R7800 does not support to shield the Guest WIFI network of the main network when it is set in access point mode.

Are their any alternatives to shield the guest network from main network?

Kind regards,

Martijn

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
lunarr
Aspirant

Never mind, I find out that R7800 can be flashed to dd-wrt, which I just did.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
lunarr
Aspirant

Never mind, I find out that R7800 can be flashed to dd-wrt, which I just did.

Message 2 of 5

For future reference, here's what you lose by going into AP mode:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I guess it expects the router to handle most of these things.

Message 3 of 5
lunarr
Aspirant

With DD-WRT installed I am able to make an isolated guest network while in AP mode. I'm also able to activate QoS and set priority between the main wifi and guest network.

My intention is to make the R7800 the main router and set the providers modem/router to bridge mode. However, I currently have two ethernet cables to the modem/router, one going to the 2nd floor where my NAS & Gaming PC is located and the second one to the TV/PS4/mediabox in the living room for wired connection. At the location where these cables come together, I have to much wifi interference due to the modem/router (has a public hotspot from the provider activated) and the smart electro and gas meter.

So I need to reroute the ethernet cables to be able to connect to the R7800 at a location were it has optimal wifi range.

Message 4 of 5

@lunarr wrote:
My intention is to make the R7800 the main router and set the providers modem/router to bridge mode.

In that case, you won't be in AP mode.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7