Activation scam

Chipper62
Aspirant

Activation scam

Today I purchased a new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Model 6900v2 Smart wifi router from Walmart, because suddenly, my older netgear wifi router stopped working last night July 2, 2021. There were zero hookup instructions in the box except for a "Quick Start" guide which instructs you to download the Nighthawk App on your phone to get started....which I did. I followed the instructuions, but the activation kept stopping at 73% after several tries, and prompts you to call the phone number that pops up to continue. I called twice and was given two different phone numbers to call.....which put me in contact with "tech support" who tells you that you cannot activate your router until you purchase 1 to 3 year firewall protection plan for $100 (1 yr.) or $150 (3-yr.) - I called Spectrum - my internet provider who said you do NOT need this to activate your router. SO - I called them back again, and was told this time for $200 I could get "lifetime" firewall network protection which would allow me to activate my router, that it can't be activated without it! I had plugged my computer directly into the modem and got online and found the actual manual on the NetGear website to activate this router, and no firewall protection scam was needed. The "tech support" (Indian males) refused to help me activate without paying them and kept wanting to log in remotely to my phone and computer. BUYER BEWARE OF THIS SCAM.....and go online directly to Netgear's website to get the activation instructions.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
microchip8
Master

Re: Activation scam

Why are you using crappy apps to set up a router? No matter what it says on the box (NETGEAR likes pushing it stupid app), a router should be set up using its Web UI at http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 10
slackrl
Luminary

Do know how to setup your router from a PC with a web browser or a clean device using a web browser??

RSlack

Message 3 of 10
slackrl
Luminary

You should scan your phone for Virus / Malware.

Factory resset your Router, before you set it up.

or

If you don't trust this router take it back and ask for and exchange

Make sure to inspect the box that it has not been opened.

Don't use your phone it may be infected.   Try McAfee virus scanner 

and Malwarebytes to scan for virus and malware to clean your phone.

especially if it is an android phone.

RSlack

Message 4 of 10
microchip8
Master

@slackrl wrote:

Do know how to setup your router from a PC with a web browser or a clean device using a web browser??

RSlack

As I mentioned, with a PC go to http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 - then login with your username and password. Then you'll get the Web UI

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 5 of 10
Chipper62
Aspirant

I'm not a tech nerd.....I'm not overly informed on setting up connections, etc. Everything seems like you need an app now.....didn't think much of it that that was how it needed to be done to be activated.

Message 6 of 10
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR likes to push its crappy limited app for setting a router. The problem is, the app offers about 10-20% of the functionality compared to the full Web UI of the router. If you get a new router, always use the Web UI and not some app to set up the router

Message 7 of 10

@Chipper62 wrote:

I followed the instructuions, but the activation kept stopping at 73% after several tries, and prompts you to call the phone number that pops up to continue. I called twice and was given two different phone numbers to call.....which put me in contact with "tech support" who tells you that you cannot activate your router until you purchase 1 to 3 year firewall protection plan for $100 (1 yr.)

That is very suspicious. It is not the way Netgear goes about support. I suspect that you ended up with one of the fake sites out there.

Your instincts were correct. It was a scam. Well spotted. I hope you didn't let them loose on your network.

You don't need to activate an R7000 to use it. No need to contact Netgear for anything. You just set up the router and connect the thing to your modem or whatever it is that connects you to the Internet.

You do need to register your router if you want help.

There is no phone support for Netgear. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support. Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

After 90 days, Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 10
slackrl
Luminary

Factory reseting your router.

Looking at the back of your router the Power button will be by your right hannd.
Power on the router and wait for all the lights to stop flashing.
You do not need any cable connected to the router except the power cable.

The reset button will be on the left hand side next to the anntenna connection.

You will need a paper clip.
Above the word Reset you will see a small hole
Very slowly and gently insert the paper clip into the hole
Once inserted press gently you will feel the reset switch move very slightly.

Be sure to only use enough gentle pressure to feel the switch click.
Contine to hold the reset switch down until the lights on the rounter begains Flashing
then remove the paper wait for the reset to finish and the router to boot up
When The lights stop flashing you should be good to go.

Message 9 of 10
slackrl
Luminary

Let me know if you need assistance in getting your phone scaned for viruses and malware.

Just a thought

You may need to delet the Nighthawk app and reinstall it.

From the Apple App store for - iPhone

From the Google Play store for - Android Phones

RSlack

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E