Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add AP to wndr3400v3

drewsheez
Aspirant

Add AP to wndr3400v3

Hello,

I currently have a netgear wndr3400v3 installed in our house and has been working great. We are planning to run cat6 to our barn approximately 300ft away from our house and would like to add an access point so we can have smart devices discoverable in the same network. Should I purchase the same wireless router and configure in AP mode or consider another product to accomplish this functionality? Will I need to make any changes to the current (primary) router, or should it be good as is and all configuration changes will need to be made on the secondary router/AP? Also, is there a guide available for configuring the router in this manner? Appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Drew
Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Add AP to wndr3400v3

The Wndr3400 is an older router. Version 1 was made in 2010 thats a dual band wireless N device. 

I'd actually look at upgrading the primary router and using the wndr3400 as the access point. 

Not sure what you pay for for speeds (or what you get) but its worth checking into 

Message 2 of 4
drewsheez
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. Would you recommend a specific model router for primary? We live out in the country and only get about 25mbps down, which is adequate for our needs right now. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you had faster service I'd recommend the R7800.  but at 25mbps, I'd probably just recommend a basic gigabit router like the R6400 (or around that series).

I'd recommend gigabit in case you ever did get upgraded to faster speeds. That way the wired connection isn't the limiting factor.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7