Add mesh networking to X10 R9000

alokeprasad
Mentor

Add mesh networking to X10 R9000

Who else thinks that Netgear should sell add-on modules to expensive routers ($400 even today on Amazon!) with powerful CPU's to provide mesh networking features like Orbi?

X10 users who spent a fortune are loath to dump it for something like Orbi, which sells for much less. C'mon Netgear, sell us X10 owners more hardware. 

Surely a NightHawk smart range extender could be made that extends the capability of recent nighthawk line of routhers which have CPU's capable of adding mesh networks!!

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.2.104
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Add mesh networking to X10 R9000

The R9000 would perfectly qualify to operate in a similar way like an Orbi router. In absence of a second 5 GHz radio, this would make sense only for a wired backhaul. Some competitors (specifically for the XR700 with the very similar hardware platform) do allow using similar routers for router and mesh satellites.

Netgear does offer the newer Wireless Extenders with some Mesh capabilities instead for now.

Message 2 of 4
alokeprasad
Mentor

@schumaku wrote:

The R9000 would perfectly qualify to operate in a similar way like an Orbi router.....

Netgear does offer the newer Wireless Extenders with some Mesh capabilities instead for now.

Like which ones?  It would still not have as good a software support, ease of setup and traffic management as Orbi's, I suspect.

I can see counter-arguments to my idea.  Some would say that X10 bugs and security should be fixed first.  Netgear would rather we buy new hardware than add features to existing products etc etc.

I just cannot bring my self to abandon such expensive, powerful router like X10.  I would pay for satellite units if they duplicated the Orbi-like functionality.

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.2.104
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Message 3 of 4
PurplePanda
Tutor

I have an R9000 and an R7000/, and I'd love to be able to mesh network them up.  I have a wired link between them for a 'wired backhaul' like the Orbi support now.  I've been waiting forever to be able to set up ONE SSID for my hole home and have the hand off happen between rooms.

I've even started to look into runnig opensource software on my routers to support the feature, but I'd prefer it if Netgear just provided it.

Is it a hardware limitation?  Does the core chipset not support the 802.11s spec? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s)

Will it support other routing specs?  Can it support the same spec as Orbi, so you can add Orbi satelites to your network?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E