Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding a GS108 switch to Nighthawk R7800

viall26
Aspirant

Adding a GS108 switch to Nighthawk R7800

I have a new home with a smart panel that has all rooms wired for cat6. I have tried adding the GS108 to my router and lose my wireless network. When I unplug the switch and restart the modem and router my wireless network is back. What am I doing wrong?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
pec967
Luminary

Does this problem happen when you plug in the Ethernet switch with nothing connected to the switch? If just plugging in the switch causes the problem, I would replace the switch. If things are normal with nothing connected to the switch, try adding one Ethernet device at a time. Power each device off/on before adding it.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I have a new home with a smart panel that has all rooms wired for
> cat6. [...]

Define "smart panel".  Is it any more than a patch panel?  Are
devices already connected to the room ends of these cables?

> [...] I have tried adding the GS108 to my router [...]

"adding" how, exactly?  What, exactly, are you connecting to what,
exactly?  Hint: If a device has multiple Ethernet ports, then "connected
to device" is not enough detail.

> [...] and lose my wireless network.

What do the LED indicators on these devices indicate?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number(s), and
look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual(s).  Read.  Look for the
LED indicator descriptions.

> [...] What am I doing wrong?

Need to know what you're doing, first.

You should be able to connect any one Ethernet port on the switch to
any one LAN Ethernet port on the router.  Other devices should be
connected to open Ethernet ports on the switch or open LAN Ethernet
ports on the router.

A plain GS108 is an unmanaged switch, and should be too stupid to
cause any serious trouble all by itself.

Message 2 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Each room is wired for cable and two cat6 ports. All that wiring feeds into the panel. I also have my direct tv and Clare home solutions coming into the panel. Inside the panel I have my Arris modem and nighthawk router. I have my wireless network working correctly. I purchased 1ft cat6 lines To hardwire a couple devices into the router. My kids computer is plugged into the port in his room and a 1 ft cat6 from its designated spot in the panel to the router. Same with the living room TV. My goal is to add all the rooms to the available ports in the gs108. I plugged the switch into port one of the router and port one of the switch and proceeded to add the remaining cat6 lines from the ports in the panel to the switch. The lights on the switch that are active are green. The lights on the router corresponding to the ports are white. The light corresponding to the wireless signal is Amber. I have also tried plugging the switch into port one of the router and port 8 of the switch. Ports in rooms not receiving signal and no wireless signal. Unplug switch and put all connections back the way they were originally and restart modem and router and all signals return to room ports and wireless.
Message 3 of 16
myersw
Master

What firmware version are you running? Number not something like latest. 

Can we net this out to if you plug into the switch from the router you lose wireless or am I missing something? Have seen a few reports of losing wireless when Ethernet device is used. Reason for firmware version. 

Message 4 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

The firmware version is v1.0.2.62. That is correct. Plug switch in to router and lose signal to wireless and ports in wired rooms.
Message 5 of 16
myersw
Master

@viall26 wrote:
The firmware version is v1.0.2.62. That is correct. Plug switch in to router and lose signal to wireless and ports in wired rooms.

Short of the famous reset router and start over with configuration I do not have a clue. As I said I have seen reports similar to this, but the .62 version of the firmware is supposed to fix some wireless issues.

You could try Voxel firmware. He sometimes fixes things Netgear has not. His firmware is based on Netgear with fixes and additions. Installs manually just like anyother Netgear firmware and for most folks just works. Would suggest a reset before doing an install should you go this way. Easy to come back should you want to by again doing a manual install this time with Netgear firmware. 

Voxel firmware is here. https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

Message 6 of 16
microchip8
Master

this is very weird as I have the same switch model plugged in to my R7800 and everything works as expected. Have you done a factory reset yet?

Message 7 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.
Message 8 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Thanks. I’m going to try a reset when I get home. Do you know if I would need to update the firmaware again after the rest?
Message 9 of 16
pec967
Luminary

Do you have an Xbox connected via Ethernet to the R7800? If so, unplug it and see if your problems go away. There have been reports for more than two years of a problem like you describe. 

I have a 16-port Netgear Ethernet switch (GS116Ev2) connected to my R7800 without problems. The only issue I experienced was having to disable IGMP Snooping on the GS116Ev2 to keep the AppleTV from disconnecting from the iTunes PC. This is some kind Bonjour incompatibility between the R7800 and the GS116Ev2.

Since firmware v 1.0.2.62 is so new, if all else fails you might drop back to v 1.0.2.52, which is what I am running. After flashing the firmware, reset with the button on the back of the R7800 and then configure manually. 

Message 10 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Thank you. The XBox 1 is connected via wireless but I have plans to plug into the cat6 port into the wall. Unfortunately I’m no expert and to configure it manually is not something I would be comfortable with. I literally bought the switch because of the simplicity if plug and play.

On a side note I just downloaded the latest firmware so I will reset and try again in a little bit.

Thank you
Message 11 of 16
pec967
Luminary

Does this problem happen when you plug in the Ethernet switch with nothing connected to the switch? If just plugging in the switch causes the problem, I would replace the switch. If things are normal with nothing connected to the switch, try adding one Ethernet device at a time. Power each device off/on before adding it.

Message 12 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll try one at a time. The switch is brand new.
Message 13 of 16
viall26
Aspirant

Looks like the new firmware and adding one at a time worked. Thank you all who provided options.
Message 14 of 16
Yueseattle
Aspirant

I moved into a condo with the GS 108 and have no clue what router to hook up to it
I want to use Comcast for TV and WiFi internet any suggestions ?
Also lots of stuff already hooked into the switch since I believe there is music and movie also hooked into the switch unfortunately can’t attach a photo from my phone
Message 15 of 16
antinode
Guru

> I moved into a condo with the GS 108 and have no clue what router to
> hook up to it [...]

First, start your own, new thread for your own, different problem.
When you do that, you might consider including some useful information.
The non-psychics in your audience may have very little knowledge of your
condo's size, shape, condtruction, and so on, making it tough to
recommend anything with any confidence.

Did you bring the GS108 to the condo, or did you find it in the
condo, aready connected to something(s)? (To what?)

> I want to use Comcast for TV and WiFi internet any suggestions ?

Fine with me.  Have you talked with Comcast and/or the condo
management?

> Also lots of stuff already hooked into the switch since I believe
> there is music and movie also hooked into the switch [...]

"lots of stuff" is not a very detailed description of anything.

With my weak psychic powers, I can't tell you what's connected to
what in your condo.  It's _your_ job to provide that information.

> [...] unfortunately can't attach a photo from my phone

I'd expect that a simple-text list of what's connected to what would
be much more helpful than any picture which you might provide.  Hint 1:
If a device has multiple Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is
not enough detail.  Hint 2: Each cable has two ends.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7