Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding the Netgear App to a second mobile device

JALane
Aspirant

Adding the Netgear App to a second mobile device

Hello,

I have had my router for over a year know and have recently had a need to add the Netgear App to a second mobile device.  The issue I have run into is that everytime I load the app onto the device I am going to be using, it walks me through setting up a new device.  I have added the device to the trused device list and am signing into the app using the same user name and pasword as I use on my primary device but cannot get it to load into my current router without "setting it up".  Would like to know if there is a way to do this, or if I am missing a step, without having to do a factory reset.  I will note that a factory reset would solve the immediate need for the secondary device, but I really didn't want to put in that much effort into something that, I would think, should be easy to do.

Thank you for your time,

JALane

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Adding the Netgear App to a second mobile device

What is the firmware version on your R8000P?

@JALane wrote:

I have had my router for over a year know and have recently had a need to add the Netgear App to a second mobile device.  The issue I have run into is that everytime I load the app onto the device I am going to be using, it walks me through setting up a new device. 

That's odd. I have the Android app on several devices. No sign of any "new device" prompts.

Which app do you have? Android? iOS? I have seen various reports of iOS issues that do not affect Androids.

And what do you mean by "load the app onto the device"? Do you mean install it? Or run it?

@JALane wrote:

I will note that a factory reset would solve the immediate need for the secondary device, but I really didn't want to put in that much effort into something that, I would think, should be easy to do.

Reconfiguring a device can be a pain, but you can reduce the hassle  by first saving your current settings. (You should do this from time to time anyway.) Then do just enough to get the second mobile device to pay ball. After that you can restore the rest of your settings and see if the second device still behaves.

Still a nuisance but maybe less so than the nuclear option.

Message 2 of 4
JALane
Aspirant

Hey thanks for the responce.  Firmware version is 1.4.1.68 which I believe is the latest version.  So I'm on Android for all my devices, not a fan of the "other guy".  I can load the app just fine, its when I open the app that it asks for my user name and PW (which it accepts) but then goes right into choose your device and connect to it with the default user name and PW on the default SSID.  Its acting like it doesn't recognize the fact that the router is already set up/configured and more like it sees it as new/just out of the box.

Message 3 of 4

@JALane wrote:

Hey thanks for the responce.  Firmware version is 1.4.1.68 which I believe is the latest version.  So I'm on Android for all my devices, not a fan of the "other guy".

That makes two of us. I don't like paying over the odds for fashion statements.

@JALane wrote:

...its when I open the app that it asks for my user name and PW (which it accepts) but then goes right into choose your device and connect to it with the default user name and PW on the default SSID. 

Remember, when you connect to the router with an app, it is a two-step process.

Your first  move is to connect to the wifi. That uses the wifi password. Only then can you enter the second password for "admin" access to the router's controls.

But there is another wrinkle. You can also get into the apps with "Anywhere Access". (Formerly known as Remote Access.)

This uses mynetgear.com as the intermediary. And that has its own set of login details.

I'm not sitting in front of your device, so I don't know which of these ways in causes you grief and what screens you see.

I'm familiar with these things because I have two networks with their own separate Netgear routers. So I see all the gory details. Someone with a simpler setup might not feel the need to explore everything and to complete all the bureaucracy needed to let the app know what you are doing.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7