Re: Address Reservation not using previously defined Device Name

Kumazatheef
Luminary

Address Reservation not using previously defined Device Name

Sigh ... This UI continually proves to be frustrating:

Organizing network devices, went to :

Advanced > Security > Access Control ... updated all devices with nice names so all organized.

Confirmed showed up properly in :

Advanced > Administration > Attached Devices ... yup, all showing up, even tweaked a few icons for fun of it.

Figured would do some address assignments, so navigate to :

Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup

Go to add some devices with reserved IPs ... and none of the devices have the names previously defined, all reverted to some arbitrary default. Not even the previous default prior to naming them ... so left with dozens of devices named the same.

So frustrating.

Anyone hit this or know a way around it?

I'm not looking forward to re-re-naming things and guessing won't retain name between various screens so it's opening the door to some pretty bad inconsistencies.

Firmware V1.0.2.60

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Works here. I only gave my devices names in the DHCP reservation  (in LAN Setup). Correct names are shown in Access Control. I don't remember if I had to rename my devices in Attached Devices

EDIT: after thinking about it trying to remember, I gave my devices names in Attached Devices and they show up in Access Control too. The DHCP names are different and separate

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 2 of 4
Kumazatheef
Luminary

Ah kk ... thanks for the update edit, my original response was something along lines of:

Perhaps it's a "one-way naming if not already overridden" type setup.

Can definitely confirm some disconnect between various pages, this is what shows up when adding an address for reservation:

nighthawk_lan_names.jpeg

Those definitely aren't names I provided 🙂

I can appreciate need for describing/labeling reseravation, but when it the MAC address can be used as unique look-up, I'd expect the device name to carry over.

Little glitches like this make the Nighthawk pretty weak, imo

Message 3 of 4
Kumazatheef
Luminary

Oh, and apparently if a tweak is made to either IP Subnet Mask or DHCP starting/ending IP address and the entire "Address Reservation" table is wiped empty ... so that's fun. Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E