Admin access to R8000 fails on Windows 10, OK on Android and Mac

phands
Aspirant

Admin access to R8000 fails on Windows 10, OK on Android and Mac

I have 3 machines...a windows 10 laptop, a new macbook and an android tablet all connected to the same wifi, provided by the above router.  On the macbook and the Android tablet, connecting to routerlogin works just fine.  On windows 10, I always get the "You are not connected to your Router's WiFi network." message.  I have tried it in several browsers to no avail.  I even connected via a ethernet cable - no change. Attempting to connect via the router's IP address just times out on ALL platforms/browsers.  This is a major inconvenience.

I'm wondering if it's some weirdness of W10, rather than the router, but I can't see any settingn thyat would stop Chrome getting to the router.  All internet access, intranet to printer etc all work.  Only the R8000 access fails.

Any ideas?

Thx, Paul

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Admin access to R8000 fails on Windows 10, OK on Android and Mac

Does not make much sense Paul ... unless your Windows 10 system does default to connect to a VPN, and the router will never see the routerlogin.net or whatever DNS query.

@phands wrote:

Attempting to connect via the router's IP address just times out on ALL platforms/browsers.

Definitviely strange - best guess wrong IP address. How else should the other systems connect, assuming these don't use the Genie App and remote access?

Message 2 of 5
phands
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku,

And thanks for the quick reply.

I'm an internet professional, including running networking for a large hedge fund...and I'm baffled by this.

If I run Genie on my Android phone, and get a network map, the router clearly identifies itself.....

Screenshot_20170602-111112.jpg

And then when I click on the R8000, and select details, I get.....

Screenshot_20170602-111516.jpg

However, if I then put that IP address in any browser, on any platform, it always times out.

Additionally, I can get Genie to run on windows 10, but it's functionally useless - I can get the network map, but I can't get to change settings.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

It did not looked like a clueless post, so kept the reply very brief, too.

Not sure on how far they use massively different protocols for some "open" accessible information (sigh....) vs. the administration requiring authentication.

All systems in the 10.1.155.0/24 subnet? I would not wonder if ... no, not you Paul .... 8-/

Message 4 of 5
phands
Aspirant

Hi again,

Yes, all systems on that subnet.  I can ping the router at the .1 address, but that's it....nothing else works.

All this started because I wanted to play with the DHCP setup, but can't even get near that functionality in the awful Genie thing, and with no other access, I'm left with a network I have no real control over.

Thanks again,

P

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements