Re: Admin password change

ConfusedUser
Aspirant

Admin password change

when using routerlogin.net to change admin password, i get a message saying that the password will be sent unencrypted.  

I've heard that routerlogin.net is NOT an internet site; but, used solely by Netgear to access the router.

So, is my new password safe or could it have been intercepted by some nefarious character when I went through the change password function?

Thank You.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
IrvSp
Master

@ConfusedUser wrote:

when using routerlogin.net to change admin password, i get a message saying that the password will be sent unencrypted.  

I've heard that routerlogin.net is NOT an internet site; but, used solely by Netgear to access the router.

So, is my new password safe or could it have been intercepted by some nefarious character when I went through the change password function?

Thank You.

First of all that transaction would be on your LAN, not on the WAN (Internet). Most likely that is done clear text because the process needs that response to be in clear text. One reason could be encryption wouldn't be worth it. Either it would be common to all the same routers, or the process to decrypt if figured out would offer no safety.

If you are worried about this, then go to the router with a WIRED PC or Laptop, disable Wireless, and have ONLY that computer connected to the router and then make the change, and put everything back on.

Reason being a TCP/IP packet is used to do this. 'Someone' on the router (even remotely) might be able to capture that and have the UserID and Password if connected when you do that. Chances are probably VERY SLIM though, I'd say slim to none even.

Message 2 of 3
ConfusedUser
Aspirant

Hey, Thanks.  Come to think of it, when i got this router one year ago, i used routerlogin.net to set it up and change password from the default to one the i created, and I assume the security of the connection was the same as it was today -- and i've had no intrusions thus far.

I guess paranoia was just getting the best of me.

Appreciate your guidance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements