Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Admin password does not stick after changing in Advanced>Administration>Set Password (R6400v2)

Even after I set the password in ADVANCED>Administration>Set Password the login screen is still using the default password.  If I try to change the password again, the router tells me that the old (default) password is not valid.   How do I change the default password for the login screen and actually get it to stick/be used?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Admin password does not stick after changing in Advanced>Administration>Set Password (R640

@GlowBird wrote:

Even after I set the password in ADVANCED>Administration>Set Password the login screen is still using the default password. 

What does that mean?

It does not tie in with this bit:

@GlowBird wrote:

If I try to change the password again, the router tells me that the old (default) password is not valid.  

Are you sure that this isn't the browser remembering, and competing, an old password?

@GlowBird wrote:

Even after I set the password in ADVANCED>Administration>Set Password

How are you doing this? Browser? App? Something else? Wired? Wifi?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Admin password does not stick after changing in Advanced>Administration>Set Password (R640

@GlowBird wrote:

Even after I set the password in ADVANCED>Administration>Set Password the login screen is still using the default password. 

What does that mean?

It means that is the path I chose through the application to get to change the password.  You always include how you got to a setting because it may be relevant to the issue at hand.  There could be a bug in the software.

The password entered on this page is NOT used when I log out and log back into the router.  It is still using admin/admin

@GlowBird wrote:

If I try to change the password again, the router tells me that the old (default) password is not valid.  

Are you sure that this isn't the browser remembering, and competing, an old password?

Positive.  On the screen above there are no passwords filled in by the browser.  When the web page prmopts for the old password and the new one, it no longer accepts the default password when you try to change the password.

@GlowBird wrote:

Even after I set the password in ADVANCED>Administration>Set Password

How are you doing this? Browser? App? Something else? Wired? Wifi?

It's wireless via builtin Netgear web page.  Specifically using Chrome on Windos 10.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3