Re: Advanced Network Protection With NEW Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router!

IrvSp
Master

Bill, without have the product in hand, and going by different reviews it seems all of them, and a few others besides the 3 I mentioned also include a device based security app as well? Reason being mention of a 25 device limit on Bitdefender and Norton has unlimited, and I recall F-Secure you need to call if you need more?

Some have mobile apps like Bitdefender but no PC one? Some have other features, and the Bitdefender supposedly will show you the device location?

I'm unsure ot the lock process too... when it sense and attack or 'private' data going out, and other conditions, including visiting 'known' questionalbe or bad sites. The lock though hits every device in most cases.

However, from reading the Norton Core review it seems to be a good replacement for modem and router or just the router?

Interesting reading the reviews of these at sites that sell it... Bitdefender didn't do so well as many had install problems... or loss of speed... if I recall what I read correctly? Too lazy to check again.

Message 26 of 36
myersw
Master

@IrvSp 

I think we are wandering off from the core of this thread as we have done before. Smiley Wink

Bitdefender typically gets good reviews on the sites that test antivirus software. Like all others they now are providing defense against lots of other things, especially browser related. Now have trackers blocked and anti-tracking plus more. Smiley Wink In my experience Bitdefender causes less then 1 second slowdown and very low overhead. 

Is there a good/better/best. That depends on the user and what/how they are using their PC. Some are free and very good like Avast. In my opinion, unless Armor is checking files and email attachments then it is not as good as having software on individual PC. 

I have never seen anywhere, maybe you have, what Netgear Armor is really doing with the traffic flowing through it. Does it check files that I am downloading? Does it check those bad attachments on email? That is two biggies in my opinion. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 27 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

I have never seen anywhere, maybe you have, what Netgear Armor is really doing with the traffic flowing through it.  

Anything an in-line security appliance can "see" and has access to - typical examples are sites hosting malware, command and control center connections, ....

@myersw wrote:

Does it check files that I am downloading? 

Don't know to which extent they do - very difficult or challenging to check large archives for example, unless doing some store and forward (after it was checked).

https or other kind of encryption can be prohibiting.

@myersw wrote:

Does it check those bad attachments on email? 

Which email system does still use plain text POP3 or IMAP4? And then again we have the limitations of large archives or executables as above.

Message 28 of 36
pimlicorules
Aspirant

...see my post just made, you might not want to upgrade if have a sonos play 1.....

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Firmware-July-4th-2019-conflict-with-SONOS-p...

Message 29 of 36
Krethys
Apprentice

Buys router

1 year later updates to a Netgear firmware that breaks the router

no longer under "warranty" 

Uses networking knowledge to troubleshoot and gets told to purchase $100 customer support to fix

I will be putting you on blast on every social media site and my high follower gaming channels. Thanks for screwing me out of $300

Message 30 of 36
Krethys
Apprentice

Speeds are probably maxed out at 300Mbps over wireless just like my X6S R8000p. If I would of known beforehand I would of bought a hub

Message 31 of 36
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Krethys, we'd like to help out. May we know what issue are you encountering with your router? Also, to confirm, the model of your device is the R8000P, correct?

Dexter

Message 32 of 36
Krethys
Apprentice

Hello @DexterJB
-5GHz speeds are capped out at 300Mbps when they should be about 600
-2.4GHz is capped at 100 when it should be higher over 802.11n as that is what protocol this band uses.
-Direct RJ45 has 600Mbps
-I had the router for a little over a year with ISP speeds of 300Mbps, I just moved and got faster speeds so there was no real way of knowing my router was dysfunctional this whole time. Kinda sucks honestly that I was told I have to pay for service through gearhead now. I've been in the Networking field and Cybersecurity for better part of 7 years :/
Message 33 of 36
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Krethys, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 34 of 36
nukem01
Initiate

I need help from netgear. After installing the new firmware that introduced the security armour feature it has damage my R7000 router. Ever few weeks I have to reboot it because it causes a latency of 400ms. I never had an issue with the previous version. I would like you to send me the previous firmware so I can fix my router.

Message 35 of 36
antinode
Guru

> [...] I would like you to send me the previous firmware [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements