Dustin_V
Community Manager

Advanced Network Protection With NEW Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router!

RS400 Announcement.jpg

NETGEAR is excited to announce its Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router with built-in NETGEAR Armor. Not only will you get advanced cyber threat protection at home, but you’ll also get protection on-the-go! The Nighthawk Cybersecurity Router will keep your family and your network safe from viruses, ransomware, phishing and other internet scams.

How does the Nighthawk Cybersecurity Router work?

Acting as the first line of defense for ALL the devices connected at home, the Nighthawk Cybersecurity Router with NETGEAR Armor actively monitors your home network, blocks attempts to steal your data, and warns you of potential vulnerabilities on your connected devices.

With the inclusion of Bitdefender Total Security, you’ll be able to bring advanced protection to an unlimited number of end devices, such as smartphones and laptops. By installing Bitdefender Total Security directly to your iOS and Android smartphone, as well as Windows and MAC computers, you’ll be able to keep your devices away from potential traps and attempts to steams your personal data.

Easy to install, as well as easy to manage with your Nighthawk app, not only do you receive instant notifications when threats are detected or blocked, you also can remotely locate & lock lost or stolen devices and wipe them to prevent any data theft.

To learn more about the Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router, please visit: https://www.netgear.com/landings/rs400/

Message 1 of 36
schumaku
Guru

Re: Advanced Network Protection With NEW Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router!

Can't resist asking: Which features are removed when comparing to it's R7000P sibling? When ad-hoc comparing the firmware images, we see a difference of about 10 MB (R7000P-V1.3.1.64_10.1.36.chk 47'849 kB vs. RS400-V1.5.0.34_10.0.33.chk 36'813 kB) - this would indicate some "heavier" code not in place, e.g. SAMBA.

Browing over the RS400 Data Sheet (D-RS400-0) we find some of the Sharing features not listed:

• READYSHARE PRINTER—Wirelessly access & share a USB printer
  • READYSHARE® USB ACCESS—Wirelessly access & share USB hard drive & printer via two (2) USB ports
  • DLNA®—Find & play your media on DLNA TVs & game consoles
  • READYSHARE® VAULT—Free software for automatic PC backup to a
    USB hard drive connected to the router

However, when looking into the Nighthawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router Model RS400 User Manual (April 2019) all the ReadyShare features are in place. Only the DLNA (Netgear minidlna) is obviously missing. This does not make the "big" difference.

Still confused what makes the ~10 MB difference in the firmware image size.

Message 2 of 36
antinode
Guru

> Still confused what makes the ~10 MB difference in the firmware image
> size.

Perhaps they took out some of the bugs.

Message 3 of 36
Ghost11101
Aspirant

It is really best device to protect all devices on the home network.

Message 4 of 36
schumaku
Guru

Would be great if Netgear @Dustin_V would be able to clear-up the specification discrepancies between the data sheet vs. the user manual please. Or maybe @Ghost11101 can shed some light?

Message 5 of 36
myersw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Would be great if Netgear @Dustin_V would be able to clear-up the specification discrepancies between the data sheet vs. the user manual please. Or maybe @Ghost11101 can shed some light?

Clearing up things assumes that Netgear has a clue, which I doubt from what I have seen. 

Just my $.02.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 36
schumaku
Guru

Hey Bill you are mad 8-)

So let's try @Christian_R as the OP is obviously not able or willing to reply to what I think is (a little bit more than just) a minor PQA issue.

Message 7 of 36
myersw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Hey Bill you are mad 8-)

So let's try @Christian_R as the OP is obviously not able or willing to reply to what I think is (a little bit more than just) a minor PQA issue.

@schumaku 

Nope not mad, just how I feel about Netgear firmware support. Fact that no one from Netgear, especially the OP is answering anything does not encourage me about them getting any better at supporting their customers. This was opened by a Netgear rep and I would assume someone from Netgear was watching. Don't see any sign of that yet. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 36
Dustin_V
Community Manager

@schumaku wrote:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ll be updating the RS400 User Manual to remove the features that aren’t available.

Regarding the difference in features between the RS400 & R7000P, the RS400 doesn’t include the following: iTunes Server, Downloader, TimeMachine, Kwilt, TiVo, DLNA, Media Server GUI.

Message 9 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@Dustin_V wrote:

Regarding the difference in features between the RS400 & R7000P, the RS400 doesn’t include the following: ..., Kwilt, ...

Now Netgear does confuse me even more. As per Viewing photos on external USB hard drive (HDD) connected to Nighthawk router using Kwilt it's available on the R6700, R6900, R7000, and R7800. The R7000P is not in that list. However, when consulting Kwilt Overview we find 

"Netgear Kwilt-enabled router models: R7000 , R7900P, R8000P, R7800, R9000, R6800."

And the Kwilt App does not recognize my R9000 - however I can't find any indication in the UI for this service, too. 

Message 10 of 36
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Uh, the RS400 doesn't include DNLA?

Man Frustrated

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 11 of 36
Jbitzer
Aspirant

If we could get the inability to get full speeds on 7800 firmware higher than .58 classified as a feature, can you remove support for that too?

Message 12 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@Jbitzer it appears to start happening on firmware released these days, e.g. for the R8000P. So well posible...

Message 13 of 36
Jbitzer
Aspirant

@schumaku  It's completely ridiculous.  I can use .58, but I get a broken VPN on that FW, .60 gives a whopping 300 mbps on a gigabit line, and .62 makes my 5ghz band broadcast in 802.11 b which means a whole 20 mbps.

Message 14 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@Jbitzer you know I'm not Netgear.

Message 15 of 36
Jbitzer
Aspirant

@schumaku Of course, But I like to vent about how new crap is broken in every firmware, yet they worry more about removing features than fixing it.  

Message 16 of 36
myersw
Master

@schumaku 

Maybe they figure that the code in some of the removed features is causing firmware issues? Having done some coding I know it is not an easy task to remove features so hang on for even more issues. As tight lipped as Netgear is, we will never know their reasoning. We have seen so many things that scream lack of attention to detail. The feature set issues, between published and on web being one example. They cannot have much in the way of oversite and testing with their firmware or  we would not see the same issues release after release. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 17 of 36
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, @schumaku, as far as removing features, many many reasons might exist.

• LICENSE required and they will not pay.
  • Code overflow, now became too large to fit in RAM of the devices.
  • Code was even LOST and they don't have binarier or time to rewrite it.
  • Something 'coming' that will replace it.
  • Known problems with the items that make it impossible to use in the firmware without hurting other funtions (I find this one hard to beleive).

Some items removed are very vague? Time Machine Backup? Does that mean that one can't use a USB drive to store files on? Actually, I think there is a hint in the combinations of what is removed, "iTunesServer, Kwilt Photosharing, Time Machine Backup, TiVo support for media sharing, and Downloader feature (which was in beta)." Those are not limited to one router either, I've seen it listed on others too. However, where does all that RESIDE? On theUSB DRIVE! I suspect a NEW FILESYSTEM is being used, maybe one that is more robust? Can handle larger drives, but doesn't have the other features in it?

Of course this part is at least partially BS, "NETGEAR continuously evaluates and develops new Wi-Fi router features, which we feel deliver greater customer value and experiences. In order to bring you new, highly requested features, such as smart parental controls and advanced cyber-threat protection, we need to end-of-life (EOL) the following legacy, often less-used, features: ". the BS part is 'less often used'! How could they know?

Since I think all the dropped stuff is USB drive 'stuff', it boggles my mind why they'd do this and p*** off customers? I can't see any feature they'd add (assuming space was needed) that might be something to cause this to happen and be that important. Think it is, do it for NEW H/W...

So all this might boil down to a new Filesystem (might be router wide over many that they want to use for special features on new routers (RAID?) but the FS grew in size and 'something' had to go? We may never find out.

Message 18 of 36
Jbitzer
Aspirant

New file system is bs. It’s a Linux computer it can run any file system Linux does, unless they’re coming up with a netgear exclusive file system which I wouldn’t trust for a second, since they can’t even write workin firmware 90% of the time.
Message 19 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp The most obvious reason are the resources (Flash, DRAM) required by the Bitdefender Armor code.

Your idea ref. that TIme Machine is just about USB storage is partially incomplete. For the legacy machines, AFP is required. Newer MacOS system can and do prefer SMB if both are properly announced by Bonjour. The AppleDisk service must be announced for easy Time Machine usage. And last but not least for using Time Machine on the SMB transport, at least SMB 3.0 protocol must be supported. 

Newer and updated Nighthawk routers have everything in place, including an SMB 3 protocol support. Bonjour is in place, too. Some shortcoming exists on other router models which are stuck on SMB 1.0. Never updated were - among the often discussed WS-Discovery for newer Windows 10 systems - the Bonjour announcements for Time Machine, and the dual protocol AFP and SMB support. AFAIK all the required code remains in place on the "streamlined" Nighthawk. Missing is the will to please to make things correct. Worth noting that Time Machine does use AFP resp. SMB3 as transport protocol only, and works on containerized fragments. 

The NAS makers (Q, ReadyNAS, S, and the "smaller" NAS brands like A or WD) proof that supporting external USB storage can be a mostly trouble free experience - regardless of the size and capacity of the USB disk. Some even support [optional, small fee] exFAT (non-journalling, M$ proprietary file system, licensed by Apple). Many problems existed (and likely still exist) on the earlier USB 3 hardware and drivers implemented by Broadcom. All the NAS makers are using 3rd party commercial drivers for non-native file systems either Paragon or Tuxera - very similar to Netgear on the Nighthak routers FWIW.

It's a lot about ignorance.

Message 20 of 36
IrvSp
Master

New filesystem doesn't have to mean something 'different'? A replacement that is more capable of handling larger disks, more like a new version, possibly from a different vendor even (if they are using a non-inhouse version now). More disk formats as well (exFAT for instance).

I have no knowledge and only guessing?

Message 21 of 36
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

It's a lot about ignorance.

True, the problems I had getting the SMB 1.0 and WSD problem across to Taiwan support people is proof of that. I was such a pain demanding that it was a problem and even with SMB 3 implemented (that was about all it was) on the R7000 and R8000 was not going to make W10 work with network shares they managed to offer to buy back my R8000 as it was still under warranty. To me that showed there was some disconnect on who was boss and how to fix a problem which I think is the root problem on both ends. Ignorance of how stuff works and inability to make things happen if needed.

What I don't understand is the dropping a long time features. Features other routers have (I assume)? Maybe Netgear wants to get out of the Consumer market? Surely if this was 'announced' it would drive away sales? Telling users not to update? Not wise as you are making SECURITY fixes all the time. At some point, users with even working routers will abandon the router and replace it?

Armor? Is it like Circle, eventually you need to pay for it? I mean it is nice and possibly cost effective to have a single point of entry malware protection, but even the best PC security programs can't stop all treats if they only look at incoming files? They have execution security as well, the actual running of the application and signatures of code segments that are known to cause problems. Many times only after UNZIPping the file is the threat recognized, and I don't think Armor does that? At some point it will become the same as Traffic Meter, slows the speed down.

Message 22 of 36
myersw
Master

If you like the sounds of Armor, you would be better off installing the Bitdefender appliance I would think. It sits in front of the router checking everything coming in. Don't know what that might mean to Internet speed, but this way not using the valuable CPU and other resourses of the router. Routers seems to be getting strained as it is with things like traffic meter. I run Bitdefender on all the PC's and MAC that I have. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 23 of 36
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

If you like the sounds of Armor, you would be better off installing the Bitdefender appliance I would think. It sits in front of the router checking everything coming in. Don't know what that might mean to Internet speed, but this way not using the valuable CPU and other resourses of the router. Routers seems to be getting strained as it is with things like traffic meter. I run Bitdefender on all the PC's and MAC that I have. 

Might want to read the review of the unit, https://www.tomsguide.com/us/bitdefender-box,review-3766.html?

In it:

=======

Can't set up from a PC or Mac

There is a small trade-off, though: The Box slowed down our network performance slightly when used with an existing high-end router.

The Box can work with your existing stand-alone Wi-Fi router, with an ISP-supplied "gateway" or as a Wi-Fi router on its own. The first configuration is the preferred one: If you bought your current Wi-Fi router from a store, Bitdefender recommends that you keep the router and plug the Box into it. We'll explain further in the Installation and Support section.

However, if you're currently using an ISP-supplied gateway device — a combination modem-and-Wi-Fi router — then you'll have to set the gateway to act as only a modem, and the Box will become the router.

The third option is to just replace your existing wireless router with the Box, in which case you would set it up like any other router. However, Bitdefender admits that the Box can't compete with high-end stand-alone routers, and the company isn't marketing the device as one.

=============================

That coupled with the cost, $200 and $100 after the first year to renew it? Makes me really think about doing that? Still might require security on devices for those zipped files? In addition, it will shutdown every device if one does something 'it does not like'? Hope it is 100% correct with no false positives? It isn't clear but it may come with device based security as well? F-Secure has a similar device, as does Norton Core, which is more expensive but gets better 'router' marks.

Wonder if these types of devices is where NG is going with its removal of those 'legacy' fetures? Armour being the one they are backing?

Message 24 of 36
myersw
Master

Just saying there are options. Personally I would not install the Bitdefender appliance between router and modem. One more point of failure and potential slowdown, so to a large degree I agree with you @IrvSp  To me the best, for the current tech, is to run something, whether Bitdefender or something else on the end point, PC or MAC typically.  There is a cost to have Armor installed on a router as well after 6 months. I personally, like local where when I open or download a file the local service flags it as a problem. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements