After 1.0.2.6 firmware update, R6900 doesn't properly handle USB drive

JWallyR
Aspirant

After 1.0.2.6 firmware update, R6900 doesn't properly handle USB drive

So I happened to log into my R6900 router administration UI today, and I noticed that a new firmware version was available. I went ahead and downloaded the update, only to find that the partitions on the USB drive I have connected to the router weren't working properly. I normally connect to them via AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) as that seems to work better than the SMB protocol with my Macbook, but I was unable to connect via AFP at all, despite the same admin/password combination working under SMB. However, under SMB I was unable to actually browse through the directory structures on any volumes mounted on my Mac. It LOOKED mounted, but was completely unusable.

Long story short, after puttering around with the USB ReadyShare settings and trying to finagle something working, I searched out the 1.0.2.4 firmware and downgraded to that version, and now my external drives work as normal. I want the security updates of the newer versions, but breaking my external hard drive functionality is a deal-breaker for me.

(unrelated: my external HD is in an enclosure that includes a built-in USB 3.0 hub, but if I'm directly connected to the router things don't work for some reason, so I have to have a USB 2.0 hub BETWEEN the drive and the router, which for some reason allows the router to access the drive without becoming confused. This is incredibly stupid, but it's the only way that I can seem to get the USB ReadyShare functionality working with that drive, so...)

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
whataboutbob
Aspirant

Re: After 1.0.2.6 firmware update, R6900 doesn't properly handle USB drive

Yes!! I thought I was the only one having this issue. My Time Machine backup stopped working after the upgrade. I reported this as a bug and they are looking into it but somehow I don't think it'll be a quick fix. Assuming you didn't have any issue downgrading to the previous firmware, can you share the link? I can't seem to find it. Never mind, I found the link to 1.0.2.4 version

Message 2 of 3
JWallyR
Aspirant

Re: After 1.0.2.6 firmware update, R6900 doesn't properly handle USB drive

Glad you found it, and it's encouraging to know that it's not just me. It'd be awesome if they'd just fix the feature, but I don't see any notes on the 1.0.2.6 update, nor have I seen any more recent updates than that. Hoping for a fix...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E