Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After firmware update refuses local browser connect for admin ("192.168.x.1 refused connect

MPotamia
Tutor

After firmware update refuses local browser connect for admin ("192.168.x.1 refused connection")

I have been logging in to administer this router for several years from the local network. Sometimes via local LAN sometimes via WLAN, sometimes via remote into a server I remote into. (Never allowed external administration). I always allow to check for firmware updates, let them install, reboot, always goes fine. Until just now. Allowed it to update itself from [previous version] to  1.0.4.36. (or whatever the current self-update v. is) Then as usual I wait a few minutes, disconnect then reconnect, and suddenly now it refuses connection. No matter all browsers, cache cleared, pings fine, all network services in/out (except browser admin now) are working and the server I'm using is on the LAN of course. (I use teamviewer or splashtop to connect to my server on the lan, but this shouldn't matter - -  The R6300v2 router should see the browser on its internal network, it always has in the past).  

What the hell did they change in 1.0.4.36 that's preventing a browser on my server on my home network from connecting to the 192.168.2.1 ?  And how do I fix?

Thank you - - -

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
MPotamia
Tutor

Re: After firmware update refuses local browser connect for admin ("192.168.x.1 refused connect

@MPotamia wrote:

I have been logging in to administer <<snip>>  And how do I fix?

===========

I found someone to go in an power reboot the R6300v2. It now gives login prompt, and all

And firmware on router shows V1.0.4.46_10.0.93, not what I said earlier (I couldn't login to see what it said). Also I thought things were working before reboot just not giving login to browser, but i was wrong, DNS was hosed I didn't realize it.

This is the first time an update didn't go right, and required a manual reboot.

Out here / MP

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] Allowed it to update itself [...] and suddenly now it refuses
> connection.

Perhaps the firmware update failed.  Did you try any extreme
diagnostic procedures, like, say, looking at the LED indicators on the
router?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for the
LED descriptions and "Troubleshoot".

> [...] change in 1.0.4.36 that's preventing a browser on my server on
> my home network from connecting to the 192.168.2.1 ?

Unlikely.  The default LAN IP address is "192.168.1.1".  You changed
yours?  If the firmware update somehow triggered a settings reset, then
that setting could have been lost.

> [...] And how do I fix?

First, I'd visit the router, and examine it.  Then, if its LEDs
looked good, I'd connect a computer to it and see what more
troubleshooting might reveal.

Message 2 of 5
MPotamia
Tutor

The router is 4800 miles away across a big body of water. That's why I teamviewer into that network thru a server. And like I said, everything is working as far as I can tell -- i can ssh into my devices, teamviewer into my server, hit my cameras, etc etc. Only one thing: from my server's chrome, firefox or ie, cannot bring up the login page of the router. Yes I set up my home network as 192.168.2.1 and can ping it from any device on my network. Thanks for the great extreme troubleshooting thoughts.

Message 3 of 5
MPotamia
Tutor

@MPotamia wrote:

I have been logging in to administer <<snip>>  And how do I fix?

===========

I found someone to go in an power reboot the R6300v2. It now gives login prompt, and all

And firmware on router shows V1.0.4.46_10.0.93, not what I said earlier (I couldn't login to see what it said). Also I thought things were working before reboot just not giving login to browser, but i was wrong, DNS was hosed I didn't realize it.

This is the first time an update didn't go right, and required a manual reboot.

Out here / MP

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> I found someone to go in [...]

Wow.  You can do that?  Even when "The router is 4800 miles away
across a big body of water"?  Astounding.  Did you figure that out all
on your own, or did you need to consult an expert at the Department of
the Bleeding Obvious?

> This is the first time an update didn't go right, and required a
> manual reboot.

I wouldn't depend on it being the last.  But now that you've figured
out the primary secret to remote operation, you should be ok.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7