Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After hard reset now getting weak security notice on my Ipad

tjrub
Follower

After hard reset now getting weak security notice on my Ipad

I recently had to perform a hard reset on my C6300 modem/router. Was able to reconnect all devices but my Ipad has a "weak security" message saying WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure. I need to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3. How do I do that? 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7
JWS9518
Apprentice

Re: After hard reset now getting weak security notice on my Ipad

I am not familiar with that model, but if it has WPA3 capability, you will need to login to your routers setup and check the wireless settings.  You can change your security settings there.

Keep in mind that some devices may not like or be compatible with WPA3.

Message 2 of 7
Kitsap
Master

At the top of this page, go to the downloads section and download the manual for your device.

Page 58 describes accessing the basic wireless settings and selection of security options.  See attached.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

The C6300 doesn't have wpa3 capability. 

So you'll have to use wpa2. @Kitsap has went over how to get the manual to access wireless settings. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000028991/How-do-I-change-the-WiFi-password-or-security-level-on-my-NETGEAR-r...

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

@tjrub wrote:

I recently had to perform a hard reset on my C6300 modem/router. Was able to reconnect all devices but my Ipad has a "weak security" message saying WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure. I need to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3. How do I do that? 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

The C6300 doesn't have wpa3 capability. 

So you'll have to use wpa2. @Kitsap has went over how to get the manual to access wireless settings. 

The "weakness" Apple complains about comes from the WPA TKIP mode. Like many Netgear devices, it's not possible to disable WPA TKIP on it's own.

PS. Yes @FURRYe38 we know there is a better community, but it does not make ANY sense to cause yet another duplicate thread. Netgear mods will (hopefully) move this thread accordingly, too. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI for the OP.

Thanks. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation