Re: After update the firmare the wifi speed is very slow. R7000

BGES
Tutor

After update the firmare the wifi speed is very slow. R7000

Hi, I installed firmware version V1.0.9.10_1.2.21. After the installation my wifi Download speed went down to 35Mbit per second. Before the update it was 300Mbit per second. I reset the router to factory default, but the problem stays. Can someone help me please to restore my Wifi Speed? Thanks in advance. BR Bart

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 48
WouterO
Guide

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Went from 200 Mbits/s to 40 Mbits/s.

I downgraded to the previous version 1.0.9.6 and now I am back at 200 MBits/s again.

It’s the new update. Netgear, please, look into this.

Message 2 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

Same problem with V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 causing router speed degredation. Reinstalled V1.0.6.6_1.2.19. Router speed recovered.

Message 3 of 48
EddieChu
Tutor

I use lan to test drop half speed  , I am using 1GB fiber, plaese fix it

Message 4 of 48
BGES
Tutor

We have the problem that we can't downgrade. As we start the downgrade all network connections are gone. Any solutions?
Message 5 of 48
mjsprof
Aspirant

I also went from 212 Kbps with previous firmware 1.09.6._1.2.19 to 120Kbps (tested on Speedtest.net) after "upgrading" to the new firmware V1.09.10.1.2.21.

Can one simply reload the 1.06.6 firmware by using the update utility?  Or must one do a full factory reset and follow this with flashing the firmware?

Why has this dramatic slowdown in download speeds occurred? Netgear, will you please 

fix this~!

Message 6 of 48
mjsprof
Aspirant

Update on my previous post:  I was checking speeds on a wired, Ethernet connection from the router to a desktop running Win 10 64-bit.  But the slower speeds may be an artifcact of the "beta" (non-flash) Speedtest.net tool.  When I used DSLresports.com site, it reported 203 mbps.  Also the flash version of the speedtest.net (i.e. the original) tool also reported ~200 mbps.  Honestly, I had not noticed a slowdown in real world, non-test use.

My Wifi speeds have been fine. 

Message 7 of 48
toomanybarts
Aspirant

Yep same problem, wifi speeds dropped to 35Mbps on new frmware vs 100Mbps on previous firmware.

Wired connections not affected.

Message 8 of 48
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

The solution I found to the issue on my R7000, was to update the "Performance Optimization Database".

You find this option under advanced/setup/QoS Setup/

Put a checkmark in "enable QoS" scroll down and then click on the "Update Now" button in front of the " Automatically update performance optimization database  " option.

Remove the checkmark on the "enable QoS" again and click on the green "Apply" button at the top of QoS menu.

Log-out and now do a new speedtest and enjoy the new faster wifi speed!  😉

Message 9 of 48
toomanybarts
Aspirant

That worked, thanks!
Message 10 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

I found the fix partially helped. The fix did correct the download capped at about 60Mbps that I was seeing, but my speed on the 1.0.9.10 firmware was degradded by approximately 100-150Mbps (up and down). Firmware Version 1.0.9.6 my speeds (up and down) were 400-500Mbps consistently. Version 1.0.9.10 speeds dropped to 250-300Mbps (up and down).

Message 11 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

Im back on firmware version 1.0.9.6 and my speeds are back to 400-500Mbps (up and down).

Message 12 of 48
EddieChu
Tutor

It work for me, thanks

Message 13 of 48
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Are you sure you use same wifi settings in both firmwares? Do you re-call settings from a backup file or manually setup the setting in the newer firmware?  I ask, because using a file from an older firmware version is not recommended, because you cannot be sure the settings are properly updated/works with the newer firmware version.

If you use the smart connect feature(to maximaze speed using both 2,4Ghz and 5GHz signal) make sure those are configured correct.

I don't know how it's used(not experimented myself), but having a very fast connection from your ISP, you could let the router try and detect your ISP speed in the QoS menu and see if that changes anything.

Just to suggest some things to try out....but hope it gets solved, without using older firmware!  😉

Update> Oh forgot to mention, I have had succes in the past(after upgrading router firmware....and possibly also factory resetting), to delete the wifi profile on my Android devices like phones and tablets. And then simply have them re-discover the wifi network and re-enter the password, would make the wifi connection run much better and more stable/reliable.

Message 14 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

The router settings are factory default. Smart connect feature is not used. Router Ookla onboard speedtest V1.0.9.6 (old) Down 598Mbps Up 710Mbps V1.0.9.10 (new) Down 464Mbps Up 427Mbps. After restoring old firmware, speeds are recovered. As I understand this speedtest is between the router and ISP.

Message 15 of 48
Scatolino
Aspirant

Hi, sorry for my English, I write from Italy, I also have the same problem! After the update, wifi very slow! I'm not going to enter the qos menu! NETGEAR must solve! All this is absurd!

Message 16 of 48
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Your in a bit of a unique position, as lots/most of us, don't yet have acces(or can afford) to a 300+ Mb/s connection from our ISP provider, so we would never encounter the speed issue you are experiencing with the R7000!  😉

So I was mainly talking/adressing issues with the lowered wifi speeds, as I am on a 100/100Mb connection and thus can't see a speed cap above the 100Mb!  😉

But in your particular case, where the speed limit(because of your very fast connection) is also experienced on the cabled WAN connection, the decrease in speed obviously can't be fixed by only changing wifi settings. So it will probably be needed to be adressed by Netgears engineering team. 

I have already contacted Netgear and linked to this thread for input to their analysis.  So hopefully they will adress it soon.

Message 17 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

FYI my home service is symetrical 1Gb/1Gb. $49.95/month. There are 16,000 home customers in m community with the same service. There are many Netgear routers in use.

Message 18 of 48
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you guys confirm if your Circle under Parental Control are enabled? If it's enabled, kindly disable it and see if it will make any difference with the WiFi speed. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 19 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

Both Disney and Standard Parental Controls are disabled (grayed out). I've never used them. Speed still degradded.

Message 20 of 48
mjsprof
Aspirant

I never enabled the Disney filter; so that wasn't the issue.  And I've checked that it stays disabled.

Another issue since updating firmware:  access to the web GUI is intermittent.  Sometimes I can't get to the screen at all

(using both 192.168.1.1 or "routerlogin.net" ) though I can ping the router successfully and internet access is ok.

The only way i can get to the GUI screen is to reboot the router.  Then I can get to the GUI: but then a couple of hours later,

access again is denied. (And I've tried with more than my default Chrome, including Firefox, Vivaldi and IE11.)

Why would this occur, again only since firmware was updated?

Thanks.

Message 21 of 48
nsEra
Guide

Hello,

I've noticed the same issues for this firmware version. I currently have the 1Gbps Down/50Mbps Up Internet package. Now my SpeedTest caps out to 400 down & 40 up; it doesn't seem to go higher no matter what I do. However, when I downgrade the firmware to version "1.0.7.12", the SpeedTest results are 850+ down/45+ up.

Message 22 of 48
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello Community,

I have 3 R7000 Nighthawks.

One R7000 as router, two as AP.

I upgrade only the R7000 acting as router from firmware version V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 to V1.0.9.10_1.2.21.

After that my Download speed measured via speedtest.net (100Mbps is my ISP download speed) dropped from overall 96 Mbps to 35 Mbps second. This while testing the same over the wired connection remains ~96 Mbps.

The AP's (not upgraded) kept at the maximum ISP download speed I can achieve 96 Mbps.

I downgraded the R7000 Router back to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19, put orginal config back and did a reload.  After that also the R7000 Router Wifi worked as before achieving ~96 Mbps.

Conclusion V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 has an issue with Wifi. I guess not using the 5GHz well and dropping back to 802.11n or so with slow speed on Wifi. My andriod phone also mentioned only a max offered speed of 72 Mbps instead of 433 Mbps.

Brgds,

Bas.

Message 23 of 48
Teejoo
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem. Went from 200 Mbits/s to 36 Mbits/s.

Downgrading to the previous version V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 solves the problem and I'm back at 190-200 Mbits/s. This bug only affects wifi. 

Resetting to standard settings after the upgrade has no effect.

Message 24 of 48
jameyers4
Tutor

Re: After update the firmare the wifi speed is very slow. R7000 V1.0.9.10_1.2.21

Updated Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router to firmware version  V1.0.9.10_1.2.21.  Performance dropped almost an order of magnitude from 240 Mb per second to 34 Mb per second. You guys couldn't have possibly actually run traffic through this then posted it. Please fix, and test the software before you post it to users.

Rolling sofware back to last version fixed issue.

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E