Re: After update the firmare the wifi speed is very slow. R7000

RufhouseCO
Guide

There is an open Support Case with Netgear engineering to investigate this issue. A Netgear engineer has spent 2 hours collecting data from my router and wifi devices and has engaged Netgear firmware engineering to investigate the issue. I'll post more information as soon as I get an update from Netgear.

My router is using the older version of firmware v1.0.9.6 until this issue is resolved.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 48
NetworkNH
Guide

I had this same problem and had no luck with Netgear support.  Used the suggestion from a previous poster (see below).  Worked great! Somehow, the "Performance Optimization Database" (even though it doesn't need to be enabled) is directly related to WiFi performance.  For those of you (like me) who have one R7000 acting as an AP in addition to an R7000 acting as their core router, just swap units so that it gets a publicly routable IPv4 address, run the update (don't have to enable QoS, just click the check box temporarily to access the menu to run the update), wait for it to complete, then swap them back.  I did this to both of mine and currently having no troubles on the latest firmware.

Step 1. Go to QoS Setup (you'll find this option under advanced/setup/QoS Setup/)

Step 2. Put a checkmark in "enable QoS" scroll down and then click on the "Update Now" button in front of the " Automatically update performance optimization database " option.  Wait for it to update.

Step 3. Remove the checkmark on the "enable QoS" again and click on the green "Apply" button at the top of QoS menu.

Step 4. Log-out and now do a new speedtest and enjoy the new faster wifi speed! 😉

This worked for me! Huge kudos and props to the original poster who found this fix..

ElaineM, could you give us a status update from the Engineering Team on this?

Message 27 of 48
jameyers4
Tutor

Hot diggity-damn - it worked!!  Thanks - followed your advice, but ran speed test on QoS page, then left QoS on. 

Performance back for now - will keep and eye for a few days.

Message 28 of 48
jameyers4
Tutor

PS - a release note woudl be a fantastic idea here....

Message 29 of 48
toomanybarts
Aspirant

I see theres a new firmware ugrade - 

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?
Current GUI Language Version:1.0.9.10_2.1.38.1
New GUI Language Version:1.0.9.12_2.1.38.1
Current Firmware Version1.0.9.10
New Firmware Version1.0.9.12_1.2.23
Release Notes:
 1.   [Bug Fix] Fixes security issues.

Worth even bothering with this?

Message 30 of 48
WouterO
Guide

I would update, if you’re still suffering from slow WiFi speed. I had the same problem with 1.9.10. 

Then, I updated to 1.9.12 and followed the QoS trick as described here.

Now, I am back on my old speed. My problem is solved.

Message 31 of 48
MarcellinoB
Aspirant

Same here...first time experiencing this.  Just had my ISP out here to check. 😞

Now stuck at "Attempting to connect to Netgear Server. Please Wait..." while trying to get the new firmware update.  Might have to do it oldschool. 

Message 32 of 48
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello Support Community and Elaine,

There is now V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 out, which I assume was made available to fix this widely know WPA2 vulnerability. What I already from a different post is that the Wifi slow speed issue is still not resolved. So I stay put on V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 until Netgear confirms this is fixed too.

I hope that this happens rather soon so my 3 Netgear R7000 can be patched to have a fix for this WPA2 vulnerability.

Brgds,

Bas.

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 48
Jukens
Tutor

QOS database update worked! Thanks so much, spent over an hour troubleshooting, so glad to have found this post.

Message 34 of 48
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello community,

I read about this QoS database.  A feature I haven't enabled, so if it is disabled after an upgrade it should have no impact.  BTW: due to all the issues I faced with Netgear R7000 since I purchased them, I am not using any additional feature that isn't enabled by default. 

So I wait until Netgear fixes this and I can properly and with no impact upgrade to a next release to have these security fixes.

Brgds, Bas.

Message 35 of 48
WouterO
Guide

Wrong assumption, Bas. I also had QoS always disabled. I did the trick as described here, and -after disabling QoS again after the trick- my WiFi speed was back on its old, correct value.

so, just do it!

good luck.

Message 36 of 48
Arcade55
Aspirant

I don’t know how you figured that out, but it worked like a charm.  I did exacty what you said, but it does ask if you want to update the QOS firmware, it wouldn’t let me do it the first few times I tried, it gave me an error message, but on the third time, it went through.  I then took off the auto update QOS, updated again.  I then checked the speed and I went from 37 to 137 megabits. Thank you 

Message 37 of 48
RufhouseCO
Guide

I still have an open support case with Netgear engineering concerning this issue. From the information I have been given, the issue seen with V1.0.9.10 where download speeds seemed to be capped at approximately 60Mbps has supposedly been corrected in V1.0.9.12 (the current firmware version found at the Netgear download center). There is also a workaround on this forum that entails updating the PERFORMANCE OPTIMAZATION DATABASE found on the QoS setup page in the router setup. I performed this Database update when I installed firmware V1.0.9.10 so I cannot test the fix in V1.0.9.12 of the firmware.

My ISP provides service that is 1Gbps symmetrical (1Gbps upload and download speeds), so I am able to see if the new Netgear firmware versions adversely affect my speeds. I have found that firmware versions V1.0.9.10 and 1.0.9.12 cause speed degradation of approximately 150Mbps both upload and download. I don't know if the speed degradation would be noticeable at slower service speeds. Netgear engineering was able to see the speed loss on my devices and captured configuration information from my setup so they could investigate. 

I have been testing beta firmware V1.0.9.13 for Netgear engineering. Following is what I have found thus far:

-After installing the beta firmware, I performed a factory reset on the router. I still see speed degradation using the beta firmware.

-The speed degradation I experience occurs if the ACCESS CONTROL feature in the router is enabled.

-The speed degradation I experience occurs if the TRAFFIC METER feature in the router is enabled.

-The Ookla speed test embedded in the router, found on the QoS setup page, appears to have an issue and doesn't appear to report ISP bandwidth correctly.

-I have not tested other features in the router such as the PARENTAL CONTROLS feature to see if enabling them affects speed. 

If I don't enable any special features in the router setup, my speeds are similar to what I was getting with firmware V1.0.9.6.

Using beta firmware V1.0.9.13 with no specail features enabled in the router setup, my wireless devices are getting 450-500Mbps download and upload speeds, and using the Netflix FAST app I get approximately 570Mbps download.

The information I've gathered using the beta firmware has been given to Netgear Engineering. I am waiting for their feedback.

Message 38 of 48
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello Wouter and community,

Thank you  all for the feedback.

upgrading the R7000 router en fiddle with the QoS setting and database is one thing.  However i also have two R7000 as AP's.  As AP you can not do this trick. Without completely messing around with my setup I wonder how to get the AP's right in a simple and elegant way.

I still believe that Netgear should fix this and make software upgrade reliable and a breeze,

Bas.

Message 39 of 48
D-Smoke
Tutor

I have always highly recommend this router to friends & family. Prob setup 2 dozen by now. After recently setting up a new R7000 with latest firmware, I notice speeds were half on 5GHz wi-fi then a wired connection. There are some near by neighbors but tried everything just wouldn't boost. Today I upgraded my own it's been a while I was on 1.0.7.X upgraded my own to 1.0.9.12. Wi-fi absolutely tanked. I always pulled as fast as my wired line at my house until I upgrade. 

1.0.9.12 Results Absolutely heterosis 

I'm glad I found this thread, something seriously borked on latest firmware. 

Also my auto update firmware was flaky, saying I have no internet connection, then downgraded, then it worked, then it didn't work, multiple hard resets. 

I'm disappointed Netgear has such an awesome piece of hardware which I have always recommended and releases crap firmware as a public release with some disney prompt on the last one I setup. 

At least Netgear will let you downgrade, I hope it gets worked out but the results speak for themselves. I'm going to try and downgrade the other one I just setup for a friend to see if that solves the slow wi-fi issues. I'm now connection to wired 1 gigabit connection to my desktop, 5GHz is pulling just as fast as wired and 2.4 well is 2.4 don't have too many legacy devices anyway. 

Guys stick with V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 until Netgear figures it out, shouldn't have to update some QOS table which didn't work for me anyway and is flaky says I have no internet. I'll give it another go after further updates and checking back here as it looks like netgear is aware of the issue. 
Message 40 of 48
hurricane28
Guide

Same problem here man. Firmware V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 completely borked my Internet speeds.. I can't even watch movie now on my network.

Had this since the beginning of this update and i solved it by resetting the router but today it came back. I tried the Qos solution but that didn't do anything in my case, there wasn't even an updated database for me it says.

I am having 500/500 MB/s Internet connection and with Ookla speed test i am getting only around 150 down and 200 up.. This new firmware seriously screwed something up in my router as i had to reset my router 4 times in order to get it working again because the webinsterface didn't work at first. Hope they fix this ASAP.

Message 41 of 48
juched
Apprentice

My R7000, when running Cirlce the internet is flaky and much slower.  Using the QoS speedtest on 1.0.9.12 with Cirlce on, I get 35Mbps down.  If I turned off circle and hit apply, the same QoS test goes to 100Mbps (or higher) which I expect. 

Same for both wireless and wired. 

I would like to use Cirlce.  Can this be fixed?

Message 42 of 48
tmorrow411
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  

1.0.9.10, 1.0.9.12 can only get about 50mb down (out of 1000mbps)

1.0.9.6, would go past 100mbps down.

1.0.8.34, goes 220+ mbps down.

This mainly impacts my mobile devices.  Though I did see some impact on my laptop.

Message 43 of 48
D-Smoke
Tutor

I will have to give that firmware a try on a CenturLink C2100T bridge bode bonded VDSL Line. I pull 80-90 down almost every time in bridge mode connected to the nighthawk, not the modem since it's set up to bridge. No matter what I do I can hardly get it to crack 50+ it's pretty stable at 40-45 solid. Certainly interferance issues nearby but link speed on devices is well above 80. Anyone running a C2100T bonded VDSL line in tranparent bridge mode with VLAN tag? That's the only way I could get it to work, major pain to setup. Works perfect wired INTO the nighthawk just the wi-fi something is wacked. Might try rolling it back another version

Message 44 of 48
St_Reborn
Aspirant

I experienced a total slowdown after firmware update as well. This particularly affected my wired connections. I went from 250 down 50 up to about 30 down 5 up. Wireless speeds were better than wired but also slower than before. I never used Disney Circle or other Parental controls, I also did not use QoS.

SO Now that 1.0.9.12.1.023 is out does this fix it or should I roll back my firmware to 1.0.8.34? 

Thanks in advance

Message 45 of 48
tmorrow411
Aspirant

I didn't setup any type of VLAN, though I would have expected that would only apply to devices behind the Nighthawk, and not ever get to your modem.

Message 46 of 48
tmorrow411
Aspirant

I'll retest the different firmwares using ethernet tomorrow.  In the past, I was getting 500-800 Mbps when I was connected directly.

My biggest issue was wireless, and mainly mobile devices.  

Message 47 of 48
WirelessVIRUS
Aspirant

The solution I found to the issue on my R7000, was to update the "Performance Optimization Database".

You find this option under advanced/setup/QoS Setup/
Put a checkmark in "enable QoS" scroll down and then click on the "Update Now" button in front of the " Automatically update performance optimization database " option.
Remove the checkmark on the "enable QoS" again and click on the green "Apply" button at the top of QoS menu.

Log-out and now do a new speedtest and enjoy the new faster wifi speed! 😉

This works. Thanks.
Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E