Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

knodi
Guide

After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive. I can' connect to the drive but it won't show up under Time Machine drive select. It was working fine in the previous versions. I see in the release notes that 1.0.2.36 has a SMBv3 update.

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
knodi
Guide

Re: After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

Updating the firmware to Voxel's custome firmware fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 40

All Replies

Re: After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

First note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

Message 2 of 40
William10a
Master

@knodi wrote:

After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive. I can' connect to the drive but it won't show up under Time Machine drive select. It was working fine in the previous versions. I see in the release notes that 1.0.2.36 has a SMBv3 update.

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

Yes SMBv1 was replaced if Time Machine app can not support version 3 of smb that may be the problem I would try the reset of the router since changes may have been made to other parts of the new firmware. Would not be the first time that a upgrade in security on a program causes issues with other older programs that have not been patched with a need update.

Message 3 of 40
perseid
Aspirant

The download link for the latest firmware is still broken (file not found), how did you download it?

Message 4 of 40

It is usually better to stick with just one conversation, especially as this one is about a completely different subject:

Unable to download latest firmware/"File not found... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 5 of 40
knodi
Guide

Firmware Update under the Administor setting on your router's webadmin portal. There is a "check" for firmware update. It finds it from there.

Message 6 of 40
knodi
Guide

I tried doing a factory reset and the issue is still there.

Message 7 of 40
knodi
Guide

Updating the firmware to Voxel's custome firmware fixed the issue.

Message 8 of 40
supermarco
Tutor

Same problem here: 1.0.2.36 breaks the time machine connection (It does not allow afp apple file protocol). The suggestion to switch to Voxel's firmware works.  Netgear is sending emails to users urging to update to  latest firmware due to security protocol issues -- There should be a note next to the firmware file that says "This will break afp/time machine connections"

Message 9 of 40
rbird2
Luminary

See my  post on this problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-firmware-update-1-0-2-36-broke-Network...

There appear to be a lot of unhappy R7800 owners that can not use their network drive with firmware version 1-0-2-36. You could flash the prior version (1-0-2-32) or wait for Netgear to fix this bug. I wonder if Netgear tested external drive functionality with firmware version 1-0-2-36. If you look at my post screenshots, it is pretty easy to see that the file size reporting with version 1-0-2-36 is broken.

Message 10 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

Fixed in 1.0.2.38 although it does not say it is, it is.
Message 11 of 40

@Killhippie wrote:
... although it does not say it is, it is.

I don't know why Netgear bothers with release notes, they never say anything useful.

That's why reports like yours are so useful. Thanks for it.

Message 12 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

I'm new at TIme Capsule backup with Netgear R7800. I'm trying to use my router as Time Machine with my new SSD 850 EVO just formatted in MacOS journaled. I can connect to it with cmd+K at smb://readyshare but I can't see in Preferences -> Time Machine -> Select Drive.

I have just updated from 1.0.2.36 to 1.0.2.38 but unfortunately nothing has changed.

Any help?

Thanks

Message 13 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

Have you hard reset the router?

Message 14 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Yes, I have just hard reset the router from administration panel and I still can't see anything in the Time Machine options.

This is my first time configuring an external drive with Time Machine but it doesn't seems so difficult, just few clicks.

Any help?

Message 15 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you update to 1.0.2.38?

Message 16 of 40
supermarco
Tutor

1.0.2.38 fixed this issue. Thanks!

Message 17 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Yes, I started directly from 1.0.2.38.

Message 18 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi @Case850,

I know that specs but I'm on the new MacBook Pro without standard USB (thank you Apple) and without the possibility to extract the disk in case of any problem (thank you again, Apple).

Anyway, I just want to configure Time Machine with my SSD to run backup during the night in order to avoid any problem in my network.

The problem is still here.

Message 19 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi @Case850,

I have the MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017).

Message 20 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for this tip, I'll take a look but, at the moment, I don't care about speed. I use to connect and disconnect my computer lot of time a day and I don't want to make a backup via USB (not now).

What I want is to make a backup with time machine using my R7800 as other people do.

Enrico
Message 21 of 40
knodi
Guide

Change to Voxel-Firmware. It fixes all the Netgear issues. Next time don't buy Netgear.

Message 22 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi @Case850,

forget about the USB and the MBP, this is my choice. I just want to backup my data wireless without buy a Time Capsule and simply using my R7800 as other people do.

Other people can, I can't and I don't know why. The settings are pretty easy.

Message 23 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Because I want to backup my data wireless and not via USB. I came from an old MBP 2011 and in case of issue the disk was removable, now it's not, so I need to make sometime a backup and i want to do it wireless.

Message 24 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Already tried the last firmware from Voxel. Same results, I can't see anything from the Time Machine configuration.

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7