Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

supermarco
Tutor

Re: After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive

Are you able to see the drives in the router's configuration page? Can you show us a picture of the config (Advanced ->ReadyShare->Basic Settings? Are you password protecting them?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 26 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have a 2017 iMac with a 1TB SSD and I use Thunderbolt 3, its way faster so why would you want to use the router? The point should be you need to back up and worry about the router after you have some backups? Even USB from your mac would be better that relying on the router.

Message 27 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

I'll send you this evening.

Thank you.

Message 28 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

I can't understand what is your problem 🙂

That's the point: I want to backup my Mac wireless to an SSD attached to my Netgear R7800. Am I crazy? Maybe yes, I just want to do it.

I know that via thunderbolt/usb C is absolutely faster, i surely know. But I want to do this thing anyway and I need help from community in order to solve my problem, lot of other people can do backup like this.

Message 29 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

I know, I know. USB is faster, better and lot of things, trust me, I know.

But i want do it anyway, everyone can make wireless backup with Time Machine and i want too.

Message 30 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

It's the old "only-data" drive from my old MBP, used just few months. Being a 500GB i think that can be used for my purpose, am I wrong? 

Message 31 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

It was just an internal disk to put some data (movie, images etc..) replacing the superdrive. It was not used for backup. Why?

Message 32 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Excuse me, but the name of this thread is "After updating R7800 to firmware 1.0.2.36 Time Machine can't see network drive", so the author (and others) are using Time Machine with their R7800. I want to, what is the problem with this?

We are running out of the thread, my question was easy and inherent the main question of this thread. If you want to continue to suggest me to not do this, stop to reply me please. I'm looking for someone that can solve the problem of this thread also after the upgrade to 1.0.2.38, maybe I have just some bad configuration on my router.

Message 33 of 40
supermarco
Tutor

After doing some tests, the new firmware (1.0.2.38) fixed the smb (drive access via Finder) but it did not fix the afp (apple file protocol) ,which is required for time machine. I went back to the Voxel firmware.

The easiest way to see if the afp is working is to go to the Finder Menu then Go-> Connect  to server and type this afp://YOUR_ROUTER_NAME [Your router name can be found in the router web page (Advanced->ReadyShare->Basic Settings].

So I was wrong when I said earlier that it was fixed, it was not fixed in 1.0.2.38 (at least for me)

Use a firmware prior to 1.0.2.36 or use Voxel's firmware for the X4S (Google it, it is easy to find)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 34 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

Dont ever use old firmware with security vulnerabilities. Some are really serious and you should run Voxels latest or netgears, even Voxel agrees on that in a post on on snb. Don't give out bad information please it puts users at risk.

Message 35 of 40

@Killhippie wrote:

Dont ever use old firmware with security vulnerabilities.

While this is generally sound advice, some security vulnerabilities depend on how you run your hardware. For example, if you worry about the KRACK issue, this affects routers only if you put them into bridge mode:

Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | ...

Netgear updated that advisory earlier this week.

If KRACK really scares you, then stop using any wifi clients you own. That's where the danger lies.

Message 36 of 40
enricoandreoli
Aspirant

Hi @supermarco,

just reset again the router. Please see below my default settings.

Message 37 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm not worried about Krack that much tb, I don't run in AP mode and slowly my clients are being updated. Personally when Netgear say to update to avoid a command injection vulnarbility, well I think you should, it would be nice though if they didn't add more bugs to their rickety code with each update. Also metioning 'krack' that Netgear article says for R7800 firmware prior to 1.0.2.36 yet does not say its fixed in R7800 (I dont think it is) which is not helpful.

Message 38 of 40
Killhippie
Prodigy

Are you running your time machine drive in HFS+ or APFS? It should be HFS+ still.

Message 39 of 40

@Killhippie wrote:

....it would be nice though if they didn't add more bugs to their rickety code with each update.

You can say that again. This seems to be the cause of too many recent problems.

Netgear rushes to plug a security issues that does not affect most users – and that takes quite some effort to exploit – but in the process manages to break important things.

The solution seems to be to stick with the old firmware that works and leave your router in router mode. Then get all your wifi clients fixed if the KRACK thing rally worries you.

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7