Re: Airplay Disappears after R7000 Install

Drmtesta
Novice

Airplay Disappears after R7000 Install

Hi all,
I installed a new Nighthawk using 1.0.15 firmware. I have a Trendnet TEW800 wireless bridge where my home theater equipment is plugged into. Since the install, airplay from our iPhones and iPads has disappeared.

I reset the router and power cycled but no good. Support was no help.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? Any settings to check? I have two networks one 2.4 and the other 5ghz. I have the bride on 5ghz and tried the devices on both networks. I just don't get it!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Message 1 of 16
jyen59
Novice

I had a similar issue - apple tv was plugged into the router, and iphones/ipads on 2.4 or 5ghz. Airplay would not work until the apple tv was on wireless, on the exact same SSID as the iphone/ipad even though all devices were on the same network.:rolleyes:
Message 2 of 16
Drmtesta
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply. We are not using Apple TV. We have a Dennon X2000 receiver and before you could just click the airplay icon and it would play out of the home theater. Now the icon is gone.

I have a 2.4 and 5 ghz network and the bridge is on the 5. I tried logging onto the 5 and the 2.4 on the Apple devices but still nothing. Am I better off using the same network name instead of two separate? They both have the same key if that helps.
Message 3 of 16
Squuiid
Luminary

Message 4 of 16
Drmtesta
Novice

I saw that post and checked IPv6 is disabled on the router. is there anything else I can try. I spent a chunk to get the best router and bridge I could find and I can't believe it's screwing this up. Crazy.
Message 5 of 16
Squuiid
Luminary

Drmtesta wrote:
I saw that post and checked IPv6 is disabled on the router. is there anything else I can try. I spent a chunk to get the best router and bridge I could find and I can't believe it's screwing this up. Crazy.

Yeah, ignore the IPv6 post, the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about. It is not relevant to this issue.

This is a firmware bug clear and simple.
Message 6 of 16
Drmtesta
Novice

That's a bummer. Any word on when new firmware might be released?
Message 7 of 16
Drmtesta
Novice

So I decided to run ethernet cable instead of using a bridge. Airplay is back.
Message 8 of 16
Squuiid
Luminary

This was Netgear's response to me from their software engineering dept about the Airplay/iTunes sharing bug in the R7000:

"Sorry for the delayed response. And much appreciated your further test setup information. Yes, the beta firmware V1.0.2.241 you referred to does not fix the AirPlay/iTunes Home Sharing for Bridge mode.

This issue relates to the compatibility between NETGEAR’s bridge mode design and the Apple’s proprietary protocol. We’re sorry but this may not be a quick fix. We’re currently investigating the solution and will update to you once there is progress. Thank you and please let me know if any questions or concerns."

Seems like it could take some time before they fix this. This should have been fixed before release. Their QA team lead should be fired IMO, this is pathetic.
Message 9 of 16
Almighty1
Novice

So basically, in other words, they did not license AirPlay from Apple and basically trying to design something that works with it. Does ASUS or LinkSys have problems with AirPlay? If they don't and only Netgear does, that means either they figured it out or they licensed it and Netgear just needs to see what the others are doing to get it working.
Message 10 of 16
ncross
Aspirant

Has this issue been addressed? I'm having problems with multiple AirPlay devices after getting an R7000. This is a big problem for us. Is it just not relaying announcements to the rest of the network?
Message 11 of 16
jpmm
Novice

I just purchased the R7000 (Firmware version V1.0.3.60_1.1.27).

To allow AirPlay from my iPod Touch to my Apple TV (setup with ethernet cable through a network switch), I tried disabling WMM QoS (Wi-Fi Multimedia Quality of Service), which seems to be working...
[Router's Admin page: Advanced, Setup, QoS Setup, unchecked WMM for 2.4 and 5 GHz.]

For the changes to take affect, I also had to reboot the router.
[Admin: Advanced, Reboot button].

So far, I've been able to AirPlay without an issue.

I'm not sure if WMM QoS is even necessary...
Message 12 of 16
dprimary
Aspirant

It seems that WMM QoS breaks zeroconf networking (known as Bonjour on Apple) which is used by Apple TV and things like printers. Doing as JPMM suggests fixed both issues. Just remember to reboot the router.
Message 13 of 16
jpmm
Novice

dprimary, After I posted about disabling WMM, a newer firmware became available. I updated to Firmware V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 (doing a Factory Restore first) and left WMM enabled to see if it made a difference. So far, I encountered one hiccup (which required a router restart), but haven't seen any major issues with Apple TV connectivity / iPod streaming.... (I'm still unsure if the issue is resolved completely or not.)
Message 14 of 16
kerb77
Aspirant

I am also unable to see Airplay devices or my Denon receiver when playing from my iPad or Android devices. I see the same result whether the WMM QoS policies are on or off. Denon is a wirred connection directly into the netgear.
If I can't get this to work, I'll have to replace the unit with an alternative. Does anyone have a similar config?
Message 15 of 16
kwoad
Aspirant

kerb77 wrote:
I see the same result whether the WMM QoS policies are on or off. Denon is a wirred connection directly into the netgear. If I can't get this to work, I'll have to replace the unit with an alternative. Does anyone have a similar config?
Yes, I have the Netgear R7000 and a Denon AVR1912, and Airplay doesn't work on my windows-pc with iTunes. All systems are wired, and I've also tried WMM QoS turn off. Strange fact: I have also an Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC, and iTunes does see the Raspberry, but not the Denon. Does anybody know something else to fix it?
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E