• 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Luminary

Airplay not working in Bridge Mode

Just bought two R7000s, one is in AP mode and the other in Bridge mode with a solid link of 1300Mbps between the two. Pings are amazing, a consistent 1ms.

My AppleTV and Mac Mini with iTunes sharing on are plugged into the Bridge R7000.
Anything the other side of the bridge cannot see Airplay or iTunes sharing from either of these devices.

There is clearly a multicast bug in bridge mode on the R7000 and from my Google searches also with the R6300.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=459597

On the R7000 this issue occurs on firmware 1.0.2.194_1.0.15.
Can anyone confirm the same problem? Netgear, can we see a fix?
Message 1 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Airplay not working in Bridge Mode

Would someone with the latest leaked V1.0.2.197_1.0.17 firmware mind testing for this issue? I haven't been able to find a download for it and I suspect the Airplay issue persists.
Thanks in advance.
Message 2 of 21
Highlighted
Novice

I am also having an airplay issue, where the "remote" app on my iphone will not speak to the router, cannot sync. Previously, it would sync, but the music would appear & disappear randomly, and when playing back, it would be very choppy.. Now it just doesn't connect at all.

I'm using a WD USB3 'ultra' drive, and i have the readyshare backup working just fine,am also able to use DLNA and smb sharing without issues..

Tomaj
Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

It seems these routers still have serious issues with Airplay/Bonjour/iTunes-Sharing, be it behind a bridge or not. :mad:
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

I had a bugger of a time getting my iDevices to wirelessly sync with iTunes. They would connect ... but when I tried to backup or sync, iTunes would then complain it could not see them.

I tried a whole bunch of settings with the R7000 GUI. No luck.

I then found reference to IPv6 issues with some of the Windows based iTunes drivers.

So, I disabled TCP/IPv6 on my AC7260 networking properties tab.

iTunes has worked flawlessly ever since with this laptop.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 5 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Netgear are supposedly now looking into this issue after I posted a scathing review of the R7000 on Amazon.
Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

No just Air play, I got a DLNA Server (Twonky), after installed the R7000, all my TV, my note10.1 (2014) and my mobile cannot found it anymore ......
Message 7 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Just installed 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 beta on both my R7000s and Airplay and iTunes sharing are still not working from behind a bridge.
Message 8 of 21
Highlighted
Novice

So I guess problem solved? How is everything else working with this release?
Message 9 of 21
Highlighted
Novice

Also, do you know if the Kong's DD-WRT release addresses the Airplay issue?
Message 10 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Ugh. Typo, sorry folks. I meant NOT instead of 'now'.

Airplay and iTunes sharing are NOT working in 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 beta.

{Mod - post #8 edited}
Message 11 of 21
Highlighted
Novice

My choice was between the Asus and the Nighthawk. . I wonder if I chose the wrong one. How can the firmware eliminate a mainstream function like that?
Message 12 of 21
Highlighted

Squuiid wrote:
Just installed 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 beta on both my R7000s and Airplay and iTunes sharing are still not working from behind a bridge.

I have my Apple TV connected to the R7000 bridge (also have the R7000 as the router) and I always have to restart the Apple TV after initial connection in order for iTunes sharing to work. Using the 194 firmware on both R7000's.
Message 13 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Does Airplay from an iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV work for you?
Restarting the Apple TV does not work for me. Airplay cannot be 'seen' by other devices on the router/ap side of the bridge.
Would you mind checking and posting what model Apple TV you are using and what the software version is?

Thanks.
Message 14 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

Netgear support have issued me a beta firmware which fixes the problem, but asked that I do not share it for the time being.

I am pleased to say that R7000-V1.0.3.39_1.0.20.chk resolves the Airplay and iTunes sharing bug over an R7000 bridge.
I've asked them when this might be released as a final version. Will keep you posted.
Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
Luminary

R7000-V1.0.3.39_1.0.20.chk would crash bridge AP after a week of up-time..

R7000-V1.0.3.52_1.1.23.chk works great.

Netgear, please release it to all.
Message 16 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

any way we can get that new R7000-V1.0.3.52_1.1.23.chk firmware??
Message 17 of 21
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

He can't give you the firmware. He signed an NDA.
Message 18 of 21
Highlighted
Guide

I also have the dreaded AirPlay not working issue after installing this router. I just purchased this to replace a previous NetGear WNDR3700, that worked for a couple of years, until some devices could no longer connect to it wirelessly.

I have 3 Apple TVs Ethernet connected. (Two 2nd Gen and one 3rd Gen). Airplay worked fine on these devices coming from a 2nd Gen iPad, as well as several iPod touch's using the WNDR3700. Once I installed the R7000, only the iPod touch units that were running IOS 7 would connect. The iPad running IOS 6 and another ipod touch running IOS 6 could not use airplay. Once I upgraded the iPad to IOS 7, airplay worked fine. So it is definitely IOS related. It would seem that NetGear did not test this router with IOS 6.

I'm need to start another thread about Netflix not working as well on AppleTV. Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with router so far.
Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

I experienced the same issue with my new purchased R7000. After going through all settings, my devices returned with positive connectivity after I disabled the QoS on my uplink. Not assigning quality of service to my upstream isn't what I was expecting after I have been using other routers with QoS on up and downlink and still being able to use airplay..

hope this works for you.
cheers
Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just replaced a router with an R7000 and am having the same issues. I find the firmware buggy and temperamental. I have tried several AirPlay devices now and not been able to detect them on several iOS devices. I too was debating between R7000 and Asus models and think I may have chosen poorly. Any news on DD-WRT compatibility and support for Aiprlay.
The firmware is pretty horrid. My prior network architecture had the modem on a different subnet and trying to get the firmware to acknowledge that and not automatically reprogram the IP address settings was a nightmare. I'd change an unrelated feature, everything would stop working and realize the firmware reverted to 10.0.0.x. I have several new grey hairs.
Message 21 of 21