Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alternative set up method

JohnnyWB
Tutor

Alternative set up method

I have the Night Hawk AC1750 and love it's performance.  I would like to know if there is a method of setting up this router where my home computer feeds off the DSl Modem first, then the signal is passed on to the router for others to log into, after my computer is taken care of first.  I am not sure this is even possible and that it would be of benefit to my main PC.  If someone has an alternative method that works, let me know.  I have experimented with blocks and QOS, it just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Thanks.

Johnny 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Alternative set up method

QOS is not the same on all netgear routers for example r7000 displays a pre-define ( downloads)  list which cannot be edited other than adding to it. While the r8000 actually allows user to set device priority. When r7000 was released it allowed user to set device priority for downloads now it does not. Research the router before you purchase and see if the QOS matches your needs and then hope netgear doesn't change it in the next fw release.

Is it clumsiness or ignorance to recommend trying something (QOS) which the OP already  said didn't work. In reading his post he clearly wants to be sure his PC is not effected by other users using bandwidth.  Furthermore the guest SSID is going to have same characteristics of main SSID other than security.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Use a wired connection for your PC and set the others to use 2.4 set to 54.

Message 2 of 9
PEHowland
Apprentice

Unless you have a specific problem you are trying to solve, I really wouldn't bother with this.   If you want to prioritise your main computer over other devices, then the correct way to do that is using the QoS functionality, and setting your computer to "highest" and other devices to something below that.  Trying to re-route the cables in the way you describe is not going to achieve what you want.  And by using a wired connection for your PC and limiting the bandwidth on the wifi signal as the poster above suggests is very clumsy - you'll artificially limit the performance of the other devices even when your PC is not using the internet.   However, if you do want to have a "slower" network available, you could also consider enabling the "guest" network and using it for this purpose.  I wouldn't bother though.

If you can be more specific on what problem you are experiencing, it might be possible to provide more helpful advice.

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

QOS is not the same on all netgear routers for example r7000 displays a pre-define ( downloads)  list which cannot be edited other than adding to it. While the r8000 actually allows user to set device priority. When r7000 was released it allowed user to set device priority for downloads now it does not. Research the router before you purchase and see if the QOS matches your needs and then hope netgear doesn't change it in the next fw release.

Is it clumsiness or ignorance to recommend trying something (QOS) which the OP already  said didn't work. In reading his post he clearly wants to be sure his PC is not effected by other users using bandwidth.  Furthermore the guest SSID is going to have same characteristics of main SSID other than security.

Message 4 of 9
JohnnyWB
Tutor

I should have waited until this week to be able to get the top of the line Night Hawk Router, on sale instead of settling for what I did.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The r8000 uses a list too  "Current Performance Optimization Database on Router"  this may be same as r7000 and they just hide it in the r8000............. you'll never know being that netgear is so closed lipped.

Version: v1.46,1.0.26
Release Date: 2015/03/08

Message 6 of 9
JohnnyWB
Tutor

Thanks for the info.

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Bottom line QOS should work and shouldn't be so complicated but for some reason in a netgear world they reinvented the wheel and it now has 4 flat sides and called Dynamic QOS. LOL LOL

Message 8 of 9
JohnnyWB
Tutor

I hear ya.  If it ain't broken, lets fix it kinda thing.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7