Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Amazon Device on Nighthawk?

molaver
Tutor

Amazon Device on Nighthawk?

On my Nightwawk App device manager I am seeing a device called AMAZON-OA2BO8803.  We have no Amazon device (that I know of).  Does anyone know what this device is?  I have disabled wifi to it which hasn't affected any of our known devices.  Could someone nearby have such a device and using our network to access?  Is there any way to delete a detected device in the app?  

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
molaver
Tutor

Using the link that you provided, the manufacturer is Amazon Technologies.  And, I just realized what the device is ....an Alexa/Echo Dot.  I now feel like an idiot.  Thank you all for your replies and help with this.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
m4paws
Aspirant

Are you sure you don't have a Firestick or Fire TV?  I know my Firestick shows up as an Amazon device.

Message 2 of 10
molaver
Tutor

No Firestick, no Kindle, no Amazon devices.

Message 3 of 10

Find the Mac address of your phantom device and see who made it.

But what are we talking about here? Your footer says A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter .

Is that what you are using? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

Hard to see what that has to do with the Nighthawk App.

Message 4 of 10
molaver
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  I don't know how to find a Mac address as you suggested and I mentioned the router because I thought it might be helpful in some way. To clarify, my router is an older AC1200 Model R6220.  

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Log in through your web browser. there you'd be able to get its mac address as well as its IP address. 

You can use the mac address to compare what the attached devices shows versus what a checker shows. 

For example: https://www.ipchecktool.com/tool/macfinder

You could also compare the IP address that's assigned to it to your devices on your network. Just to see if its just mis-identifying your device 

Message 6 of 10
molaver
Tutor

Using the link that you provided, the manufacturer is Amazon Technologies.  And, I just realized what the device is ....an Alexa/Echo Dot.  I now feel like an idiot.  Thank you all for your replies and help with this.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

eitherway, glad to hear you figured it out!

Message 8 of 10

@molaver wrote:

To clarify, my router is an older AC1200 Model R6220.  

For questions about that router, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk & Non-Orbi) - NETGEAR Communities

But your query doesn't really depend on the hardware. I was just confused by the reference to a USB adapter. A very different animal.

Message 9 of 10

@molaver wrote:

I now feel like an idiot. 

Don't be silly. (I nearly said "don't be an idiot".) The real idiots are people who don't bother to ask questions to find out what is going on.

We have all learned something from this. Like where to go to deal with MAC addresses. I have usually gone to a utility on my PC. Now I know better.

All you have to do know is shout at your Alexa device and see if it understand your question. Me, I can't get my Orbi Voice to place nicely with Alexa. Good job I didn't pay for it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7