Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Amber Power Light Redux

gkski
Aspirant

Amber Power Light Redux

My AC1750 router has been running flawlessly since summer but is again exhibiting the amber power light and network disruptions.

I received some helpful advice before and have an outstanding question.

Is my understanding correct, that I can flash the router with the current firmware version and my settings will not be impacted? Or am I better off resetting the router to factory defaults, upgrading the firware and then importing my settings with the backup configuration file?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Amber Power Light Redux

@gkski wrote:

What I should have said is that many of the lights were on the router, amber and white, some flashing when I went up to my office to see what was wrong with network connectivity. I have the router configured to only light the power light.

"Flashing" firmware is usually used to describe using a process like TFTP to mend a device with corrupt firmware.

The only light that matters when it comes to "flashing" the firmware is the power LED. If that is orange, then you may need to do something. If that LED remains white, then you should not think about flashing the firmware.You don't need it and can do more harm that good.

You can simply use the routing update process.

As to all the other lights, if you reset the thing at any stage, the lights will get back to their default state and will come back on.

Otten the router log shows lots of DoS ACK and FIN attacks, but I think I read those could be misinterpreted.

You are not wrong there. Many of those reports are false alarms. But if they flood your router, that could strain the processor and bring it to its knees. That is one reason why people turn off logging those events. Disabling other processor heavy activities, like QoS and traffic metering, is another tactic. The R6400, from 2015, isn't a powerful router by modern standards and may be feeling its age.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@gkski wrote:

Or am I better off resetting the router to factory defaults, upgrading the firware and then importing my settings with the backup configuration file?

You don't say which firmware you are on, but I would go down that route.

My AC1750 router has been running flawlessly since summer but is again exhibiting the amber power light and network disruptions.

That's odd. The amber power light is not normally associated with network disruptions. It brings the whole network to a halt because the router doesn't work.

Message 2 of 6
gkski
Aspirant

Thanks, Michael. You helped me in the summer.

I reflashed with R6400v2-V1.0.4.122_10.0.95.chk. What I should have said is that many of the lights were on the router, amber and white, some flashing when I went up to my office to see what was wrong with network connectivity. I have the router configured to only light the power light.

It has been working now for 1/2 a day and if all esle fails I guess I will reset to factory defaults and start from there. My NAS sends out an email when the network is down, so that is how I know I have a problem.

Otten the router log shows lots of DoS ACK and FIN attacks, but I think I read those could be misinterpretated.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
gkski
Aspirant

If I indeed need to start from scratch and go back to factory defaults, is there anything in my settings configuration file that could be causing the problem? Doesn't seem that would be the case.

I'll see how it performs for a couple of days then if needed go to plan b and reset to default factory settings.. Plan c would be to purchase another router.

thanks.

Message 4 of 6

@gkski wrote:

What I should have said is that many of the lights were on the router, amber and white, some flashing when I went up to my office to see what was wrong with network connectivity. I have the router configured to only light the power light.

"Flashing" firmware is usually used to describe using a process like TFTP to mend a device with corrupt firmware.

The only light that matters when it comes to "flashing" the firmware is the power LED. If that is orange, then you may need to do something. If that LED remains white, then you should not think about flashing the firmware.You don't need it and can do more harm that good.

You can simply use the routing update process.

As to all the other lights, if you reset the thing at any stage, the lights will get back to their default state and will come back on.

Otten the router log shows lots of DoS ACK and FIN attacks, but I think I read those could be misinterpreted.

You are not wrong there. Many of those reports are false alarms. But if they flood your router, that could strain the processor and bring it to its knees. That is one reason why people turn off logging those events. Disabling other processor heavy activities, like QoS and traffic metering, is another tactic. The R6400, from 2015, isn't a powerful router by modern standards and may be feeling its age.

Message 5 of 6
gkski
Aspirant

Yes, I used the router's web page to apply the most recent firmware,

V1.0.4.122_10.0.95

When asked if I wanted to continue, because the router was already at that version, I told it to continue with the firmware install.

As for turning off logging for some activities, I think only unchecking the DoS attack is the only one in my list.

I thought Netgear was still selling the AC1750, or at least Best Buy is still selling the model R6400-100NAS. Mine is a model R6400v2.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7