Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another Failed to Form Child Error

regguy21
Aspirant

Another Failed to Form Child Error

So, I've had the Nighthawk R9000 since 2017 and I think it has finally died on me <insert sad and frustrated face>

Yesterday, a work day,  the interest just started going on, both wifi and wired connections.  I rebooted it the first few times, as it had done this a few months earlier and then just stopped... but that didn;t fix the problem.   It continued through the night and  consumed my whole day.

Last night I logged in and noticed that there was an upgrade available., v1.0.5.28, I was on ...26.    I did the update, over a wired connection, and still the same thing.     Strange thing is, it  blocks me from logging into the admin  site when the internet goes down and it doesn;t allow any new  devices to authenticate to it... I literally have to reboot it and then  login to the admin console.

Suffice it saym I;ve done everything, see below, and  am very much starting to feel like Netgear did this to me to make me either pay for support or go out and buy another product... beuase there's nothing that changed at all. so this shouldn't have happened and shouldn't have taken  the second half of yesterday and all of today to fix.

What I've done so far;

- Rebooted the  router.

- Downgraded the firmware all the way back to v1.0.5.24 and then upgraded back to each successive versions, and they all had the same problem.

- Factory reset and then firmware upgrade.

-   Rebooted and then resorted to just turning off  all wifi extenders and access points.

- Rebooted the modem.

- Loading my old settings AND doing all of the above with out loading my old settings.

Nothing works and I've very dissatisfied... I feel like the apple customers when they found out apple was passing bugs to make  devices malfunction so that the customers have to  spend money... I paid an arm and a leg for this thing thinking it'd be future proof.. I know 5 years is a long time but I expected it to die as a result of a hardware issue, NOT A SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE ISSUE... and certainkly not as a result of an update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys - if not... I'll be going out to my local department store tomorrow to buy another router because certainly... I have to work Monday.

I can't even type this nonte without the internet going out... I literally can't spend more than 4 minutes in teh admin console without it failing with the fancy error message.   """Failed to Fork Child. Cannot Allocate Memory"""

Message 1 of 4

Re: Another Failed to Form Child Error

That's a long and complicated saga that covers a lot of territory. So it is hard to know where to begin.

We don't really know what the problem is. Take this bit:

@regguy21 wrote:

Yesterday, a work day,  the interest just started going on, both wifi and wired connections. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that you meant to write "the internet just started going down". (I see that you say that are having trouble just posting messages.) Sadly, "going down" could mean many things, some of them have nothing to do with the router, but with the modem in front of it.

The way to begin to diagnose that is to look at the LEDs on your R9000. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 4
regguy21
Aspirant

The modem is  a CM1000 and the router is an R9000.

Yes - the internet kept "going down", as in, not resolving to any url's or IP's.    I checked the LED lights and they were all fine... that was inded my first move.

The Failed to Fork Child error  and not resolving even to its own IP lead me to believe that it was a router issue rather than a modem issue.    Less the none, as mentioned in my original post, I did troubleshoot both the modem and the router. 

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

@regguy21 wrote:

Yes - the internet kept "going down", as in, not resolving to any url's or IP's.    I checked the LED lights and they were all fine... that was inded my first move.

What you see could be down to any number of issues. The router could certainly be the cause.

One thing that I can't see in your account is any reference to the router's logs.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7