Another R9000 that keeps dropping internet connections

vhuang169
Aspirant

Another R9000 that keeps dropping internet connections

So I finally get round to calling Netgear support about my R9000.

It drops interent about once every week or so.  All devices show connection to the router but no internet access. I can access the router directly and make changes, dashboard shows no internet connection.  If I reset the router, it connects again.

Put my old R7000 back in and have no issues for months.  
So I call them today, 1st interesting thing, the R9000 has its own selection button.  Everything else in the nighthawk range gets lumped together but press 2 for the R9000.

Lady asks the usual questions then I'm told that phone support is only for 90 days and I would have to pay to get more (unit was purchased in late 2018).  She wants to do a hardware check over the phone (which means I will need to call back when I'm home).
I'm guessing the hardware check will turn up nothing wrong with it.

Anyone actually get a response or a solution from Netgear about this?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Another R9000 that keeps dropping internet connections

@vhuang169 wrote:

So I finally get round to calling Netgear support about my R9000.

Who did you call?

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to:

GearHead Support

If you found a number on Google and called that, it will not have been Netgear or GearHead. There are various "support" sites out that that buy ad space to show up in searches. These sites show all the Netgear logos, but have nothing to do with the company.

The same sites show up in searches for any hardware brand you choose. Be very careful about using those services. They can damage your network and your finances.

If you are within the 90-day "free support" window then you start the support process through your MyNetgear account and by registering your hardware.

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
vhuang169
Aspirant

I called the number from the Mynetgear site. Started a form 1st, when I submitted it, I got a page that said I need to call or my case would be owed shortly.

I am outside of the 90 day period but within the 1 year warranty period.
Message 3 of 4

@vhuang169 wrote:
I called the number from the Mynetgear site. Started a form 1st, when I submitted it, I got a page that said I need to call or my case would be owed shortly.

That's good. I'm surprised they responded outside the 90-day time.

@vhuang169 wrote:

I am outside of the 90 day period but within the 1 year warranty period.

Start the RMA process or try to get things sorted out here.

What firmware version do you have on the R9000?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user with a set of boilerplate macros.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E