Antenna pins

jeffreywilens
Initiate

Antenna pins

Just to be clear, are there supposed to be protruding pins on the antenna connectors which are part of the antennas AND the terminals on the router OR are the pins supposed to be recessed on the antenna connectors and protruding only on the terminals on the router?
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Antenna pins

the latter
Message 2 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

Pins only on the antennas and recesses on the router. The antenna pins break off sometimes and remain in the router. The antennas must be replaced if they break.
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

All removal antenna on hardware is always female so answer is to you is that it should be male end on antenna side.

Usually are RP-SMA style male/female.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The center pin is on the router side (male) not on the ant side from what I remember. I thought it was strange until looking at other external antennas which also are female.

Presently I'm confused, someone who owns should post a picture.
Message 5 of 12
Buck115
Aspirant

I took my R7000 out of service yesterday and reinstalled my WNDR4500, so the R7000 is accessible. I just checked and the connectors on the Router have male center conductors (pins) and the connectors on the antennas have female center conductors.

The R7000 is probably headed back to Amazon!!!!
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I thought I was loosing it, I did get thicker glasses. Male pins on router, female on ant.

Thanks for confirming this!
Message 7 of 12
fordem
Mentor

jmizoguchi wrote:
All removal antenna on hardware is always female so answer is to you is that it should be male end on antenna side.

Usually are RP-SMA style male/female.

Maybe on all the removable antennas you've seen - I have several that are not.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 8 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

fordem wrote:
Maybe on all the removable antennas you've seen - I have several that are not.

Yes, both routers that I have that have external antennas have the pins on the router side, and the antennas accept the pins when screwed onto the router (Asus RT-N66U and Netgear R7000). From the Asus router I have, I'm going to assume that all the new Asus routers that have external antennas are made this way...Asus would want to have interchangable antennas for production reasons.
Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think June may be referring to the larger connectors found on older Linksys and ciso commercial gear. The N-connector which the chassis mount usually was referred to a female.

just my 2 cents

I was surprised when I saw the r7000 connectors, it had been years since last router had removable antennas, and all my professional experience was chassis was female and jumpers were male.
Message 10 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Too many various to begin with.. what is what is..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 12
jeffreywilens
Initiate

Thanks for clearing this up. LOL. I have male pins on the router and the female repressed pins on the antennas. I just wanted to make sure they were still intact.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements