Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Antennae Orientation

BlueCat58
Tutor

Antennae Orientation

I am having trouble connecting IoT devices (all the same brand, Wyze) to my 2.4GHz WiFi. Most of them connect, but some connect only intermittently.* They only connect via 2.4GHz.

I am looking into the device limit issue. I believe the limit is 32, I think I have around 20, but identifying all of them will take some work. If the number of devices might be an issue, please let me know that. I could also use QoS if that would help.

I have used the Nighthawk app to test signal strength near the devices. The signal strength doesn't seem to be a major factor since the same type of device with 100% signal won't connect either. They all worked for close to a year. I recently changed batteries in them. I have not tried resetting everything, but since they connect intermittently, I'm thinking maybe something changed with the WiFi router since there have been updates to it.

Right now the router is located about mid-wall on top of a bookshelf on the 2nd floor near the back of the house. It is practically against the wall. Many of the devices are located 50' to 60' from it in the front rooms of the house and just outside. The two walls of the stairwell are immediately in "front" of the router. I had the router on the other side of a wall perpendicular to it and the signal strengths were the same.

My signal strength drops off at an interior wall. 100% on one side, 60% on the other. That wall is where the refrigerator, microwave, and electric oven are located. I tested signal strength while the microwave and oven were off.

Three questions:

1. In a 2-story house, which floor should I put the router on?

I actually found an answer for that, but would like this community's input.

The answer I found was "close to the ceiling on the 1st floor, or the floor of the 2nd floor". A simple explanation for that placement would enhance the value of this discussion.

I am guessing that if you put it high up on the 2nd floor that the area "under" the router would be covered less due to the "shape" of the signal. Please do NOT refer me to any images of signal shape. The ones I have found are worthless to me since I am not a "visual" person. A description using words would be more valuable to me.

2. The antennas are "wing shaped", which side of the antenna does the signal come out of? The "flat" side or the "pointed" side?

Is there a difference in the shape of the signal that comes out of each?

3. How should the antennas be oriented to best cover both floors?

Center vertical, outside at 45 degrees seems to be the most recommended. Would other angles improve the coverage?

Would moving them toward "horizontal" help direct the signal from a 2nd floor location to the 1st floor?

Which side should be pointed "down" which is the only direction you can move them?

Thank you for you assistance.

*I have one really weird location that never connects, but I can live with that. It is one of a pair of porch lights. I have determined that the device is not the issue since the same device (a bulb) will connect in the other socket. Practically speaking they are the same distance from the router. At most a foot further. I don't think there is any extra hardware or wiring behind the one that doesn't allow connection. Any thoughts?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7