Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Any R7000 owners roll the dice on 1.0.11.122 ?

Bill-D
Apprentice

Any R7000 owners roll the dice on 1.0.11.122 ?

I'm very pleased that the R7000s in both of my houses running on '116 have been outstandingly stable for the last 3 months.

I just saw this new '122 hotfix and, always eager to stay ahead of vulnerabilities, I'm pondering rolling the dice to install it, but I'm having flashbacks of R7000 headaches of years' past.

The way I've previously achieved success with R7000 updates is do an Erase first followed by full manual entry of my configuration (big pain).  Since this is a "hotfix", it sounds like I may be able to install it over my existing configuation without an Erase first. 

Has anyone else installed '122 ?  If so, did you do it without an Erase first and how long have you had it running reliably? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

I don't have one but I'm on the forums regularly. I haven't seen much feedback so far. 

If you were going to try it, make a backup of your current configuration, the do the install/reset/clean install process. 

If it struggles, you can always downgrade and restore your current configuration

Message 2 of 11
Bob254
Guide

Figured i would install it given it's a hot-fix for security issue. My R7000 was previously on firmware version 1.0.11.116. Which worked fine. Installed the 1.0.11.122 Hot fix today. Followed the Netgear recommended update process > download file and install through admin page. Checking for updates through the admin page fails to find this hotfix so manual download it was. Update installed without issue. Router rebooted.

Had issues right away.  Sites that previously loaded to completion almost instantly, now lag and sometimes time-out. I'm on a 200+ Mbps plan with Xfinity and consistently went over 200 Mbps down on speedtest dot net in the past. Post-upgrade, the download test failed to load until I reloaded the page several times. Upload test timed-out a few times. Hitting the same Comcast sever in Chicago as I did in the past. Speed tests are always run on a computer that is hard-wired to the R7000 with CAT6. Tested using multiple browsers to rule out browser quirks. All results were similar. 

Decided to go one step further and performed the reset procedure described in the manual. Held reset button down for at least 5 seconds and released. As expected, this reset everything back to factory settings. When the router was back up hitting it's IP took me through initial setup (set admin password, answer questions about an app, data collection etc). I do not use their app or enable data collection. BTW, routerlogin.net no longer works as before. It now redirects you to their website where they nag you to use their app.

Next, I changed settings back to what they were prior to reset. Rebooted by unplugging power, let it sit for a few minutes and then powered-up. The reset made no difference, performance is still laggy and sites intermittently time out. The problem is consistent as in, every site I hit lags noticeably and some time-out. It's not site specific, the timeout occurs for sites that previously worked as well. Will likely revert to previous firmware as this hot-fix appears to be buggy. At least on my router it is.

Message 3 of 11
Bill-D
Apprentice

Since I haven't seen any negative experencies reported about '122, I rolled the dice and updated from '116 without an erase/reset.  Hopefully, the stability I've experenced with '116 will continue with '122.  I'll report back here after running it for a while.

Message 4 of 11
javierHD
Aspirant

I have been having problems for sometime now and  @Bill-D provided some advise (thanks for that ). Currently on version V1.0.11.122_10.2.100 still having same issues, dropping internet, poor or inconsistent speedes wired or not.  Not sure this has to do with the FW but by the sounds of it I see some similarities.

Message 5 of 11
DoctorX
Guide

Another update today.  Anyone brave enough to try v1.0.11.123_10.2.100?

Message 6 of 11
Bill-D
Apprentice

I've had no reboots or any problems with '122 since I installed it 3 days ago. 

A new SW release that quick after '122 makes me think something amiss showed up in '122 shortly after it was released into the wild, so I'm inclined to install '123.

Message 7 of 11
balderduck
Aspirant

116 broke the NTP settings and 122 didn't fix the problem. Going back to 110 allowing me to set time zone and NTP server.

Maybe 123 restores NTP settings and, then again, maybe it doesn't. When I have some time I'll install 123 and see what happens.

Message 8 of 11
Bob254
Guide

Installed 1.0.11.123 on top of 1.0.11.122. So far so good.

I posted earlier that 1.0.11.122 caused issues, didn't get around to posting an update. A day later, after a couple of power off, wait 1 minute, restart cycles, my laggy internet connectivity went away. No changes were made to settings, just the restarts.

I installed 1.0.11.123 in the same manner, just downloaded the zip and updated firmware through the admin page. Peformed an additional restart after firmeware update rebooted the device. My speed tests are back to normal, a little over 200 Mbps downstream on a 200 Cable internet plan, about 12 upstream (plan promises 10).

Both wired and Wi-Fi connectivity is normal. I just wonder what 122 might have left me exposed to for those few days.

Other info that might be useful:

• 5Ghz is turned off. I have no use for it since my wireless devices are too far to take advantage. I get better throughput on those devices using 2.4 Ghz. In any case, I'm not going to get anything faster than what my plan offers and definitely do not expect anything close to that over Wi-Fi. Haven't really measured speeds between devices on my network but I don't experience any issues streaming 1080P youtube videos from even about 100 feet (guesstimate) from the rotuer.

Perhaps turning 5Ghz off helps keep the device running better since it has one less overhead to deal with. I don't know, someone with more thorough knowledge of this router's hardware could chime in. But that might be a separate topic for discussion.

• routerlogin.net continues to redirect to netgear's page with this message:

"You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

Which of course is incorrect. I am connected, they're just plugging their app.

• NTP settings persist. By this I mean, I have selected a Timezon and have both "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" and "Use default NETGEAR NTP server" checked. Those settings remain regardless of firmware updates or restarts. Time stamps in logs match the router's system time.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 11
microchip8
Master

@Bob254 wrote:

Installed 1.0.11.123 on top of 1.0.11.122. So far so good.

I posted earlier that 1.0.11.122 caused issues, didn't get around to posting an update. A day later, after a couple of power off, wait 1 minute, restart cycles, my laggy internet connectivity went away. No changes were made to settings, just the restarts.

I installed 1.0.11.123 in the same manner, just downloaded the zip and updated firmware through the admin page. Peformed an additional restart after firmeware update rebooted the device. My speed tests are back to normal, a little over 200 Mbps downstream on a 200 Cable internet plan, about 12 upstream (plan promises 10).

Both wired and Wi-Fi connectivity is normal. I just wonder what 122 might have left me exposed to for those few days.

Other info that might be useful:

• 5Ghz is turned off. I have no use for it since my wireless devices are too far to take advantage. I get better throughput on those devices using 2.4 Ghz. In any case, I'm not going to get anything faster than what my plan offers and definitely do not expect anything close to that over Wi-Fi. Haven't really measured speeds between devices on my network but I don't experience any issues streaming 1080P youtube videos from even about 100 feet (guesstimate) from the rotuer.

Perhaps turning 5Ghz off helps keep the device running better since it has one less overhead to deal with. I don't know, someone with more thorough knowledge of this router's hardware could chime in. But that might be a separate topic for discussion.

• routerlogin.net continues to redirect to netgear's page with this message:

"You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

Which of course is incorrect. I am connected, they're just plugging their app.

• NTP settings persist. By this I mean, I have selected a Timezon and have both "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" and "Use default NETGEAR NTP server" checked. Those settings remain regardless of firmware updates or restarts. Time stamps in logs match the router's system time.

Hope this helps.

Instead of routerlogin.net, try http://192.168.1.1

Message 10 of 11
Bob254
Guide

Thanks for pointing that out. I always use the IP and forgot to mention it in my post. I just noted the change in functionality of the URL in case that helps others. Lest someone infers they *have* to use the app. Which they don't.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7