Any Way to Optimize R7000 Location?

Wired1
Aspirant

Any Way to Optimize R7000 Location?

My cable connection comes in through the basement and I have my R7000 down there near the modem and the networking panel. This is a sub sub sub optimal position for wireless.

My R6300 is on the ethernet network on the first floor and set up to be an access point (if that is the right word). I still have coverage issues on the second floor.

Is there any way to optimize this setup short of buying another R7000 to replace the R6300? Basically I have buried the wireless signal of the router with the best range because it also has the best routing functionality.

Thanks - hope this makes sense.

Message 1 of 4
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Any Way to Optimize R7000 Location?

My first impulse would be to switch the R6300 and R7000 (put the R6300 in the basemen), and take advantage of the better wireless from the R7000 on the first or second floor.

If that doesn't work for you, you can add an AP on the second floor, or even try moving the R7000 to the second floor and see how that works for you.

Experiment some and you'll find the best setup for your house.
Message 2 of 4
netwrks
Master

Wired1 wrote:
My cable connection comes in through the basement and I have my R7000 down there near the modem and the networking panel. This is a sub sub sub optimal position for wireless.

My R6300 is on the ethernet network on the first floor and set up to be an access point (if that is the right word). I still have coverage issues on the second floor.

Is there any way to optimize this setup short of buying another R7000 to replace the R6300? Basically I have buried the wireless signal of the router with the best range because it also has the best routing functionality.

Thanks - hope this makes sense.

Have you considered swapping the R7000 and R6300 positions? The R7000 supports AP mode.
Message 2 of 4
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Rule of thumb, when locating a router. Central and
higher up as best you can. I have a router sitting on a top floor loft smack center of the solarium style house which is 2 story ~2600 sq. ft. I have good coverage from basement to upstairs, back yard patio. I have 3 desktops, 3 laptops, 1 Macbook, 2 iPADs, 2 surveillace cameras, 2 WiFi printers, 1 Honeywell Redlink gateway, 1 Synology NAS on the router. All works very well. R7000 was one of my favorite router but I moved onto Linksys EA8500.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements