Any way to DDWRT on C6900 (costco)

nasch007
Aspirant

Any way to DDWRT on C6900 (costco)

Greetings,

I'm trying to enable telnet on Netgear C6900 (costco)

I'd like to update firmware to DD-WRT.

From an Admin command prompt...

tried telnetenable2.exe and got the following output:
starting...
creating pkt...
sending pkt...
done.

tried telnet 192.168.0.1 and could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

tried nte 0.5 nte.exe -debug produces the following:
debug: 0xffffffff .
MAC0: >a0:40:a0:3a:a0:a2<.
MAC1: >A040A03AA0A2<.
user: >admin<.
pass: >pass<.
getaddrinfo():
ai_family = 2, ai_socktype = 0, ai_protocol = 17
ai_addrlen = 16, ai_addr->sa_family = 2.
ai_flags = 0x00000004.
ai_addr->sa_data[ 2: 5] = 192.168.0.1
dns_resolve() sts = 0.
sock = 224, FD_SETSIZE = 64,
FD_ISSET( sock, &fds_rec) = 1.
pre-select(1). sock = 224.
pre-recvfrom(). sock = 224.
nte: recvfrom() failed.
nte: errno = 0, WSAGLA() = 10054.
nte: No error

C:\Users\Nate\Downloads\nte-05_win\nte-05\win32\Release>telnet 192.168.0.1
Connecting To 192.168.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\Users\Nate\Downloads\nte-05_win\nte-05\win32\Release>nte m=a0:40:a0:3a:a0:a2 n=192.168.0.1 u=admin p=pass
nte: recvfrom() failed.
nte: errno = 0, WSAGLA() = 10054.
nte: No error

I've factory reset the router and changed the admin password. I'm connected directly from my desktop to the modem/router and using the mac addy under LAN Port.

The firmware version currently on this hunk a junk is V1.01.27.

I've disabled Windows Firewall while doing this experiment.

I'm at my wit's end right now. Cannot seem to get the python script to run on Windows, after fixing various print issues, finally got an import error: no module named Crypto. Changed it to crypt using IDLE, but get an error: crypt not supported on Windows.

Tried on my macbook pro brew install python easy_install python-dev then running the script....

I finally got it to run and I do get "payload sent to 192.168.0.1:23", but telnet still says connection refused... argh.

I'm wondering if at this point I've just got crappy firmware that can't be updated.

Is there any other way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
labatt
Mentor

Re: Any way to DDWRT on C6900 (costco)

The c6900 is a modem and router. Because it is connected to the ISP's network the ISP controls firmware updates. DD-WRT would not be doing a build as they would need to get the ISP to approve their firmware, assuming it could even be installed. 

I see this as a big problem to these combo boxes. No control over the firmware. The ISP controls it as the box sits on their network. Think of someone installing firmware on the modem and knocking the whole ISP network down, at least in your area. My Netgear cm1150v modem has never had a firmware update since I installed it a couple of years ago.

Modem CM2050V
Message 2 of 9

@labatt wrote:

I see this as a big problem to these combo boxes. No control over the firmware. The ISP controls it as the box sits on their network. Think of someone installing firmware on the modem and knocking the whole ISP network down, at least in your area. My Netgear cm1150v modem has never had a firmware update since I installed it a couple of years ago.

This is why experienced users seem to prefer sperate modems and routers.

For a start you get a wider choice of routers. Netgear adapts only a limited number of routers as modem/routers.

You also get more frequent updates to fix security holes and a higher likelihood of new features. Modem/routers seem to be lower down on the priority list for that sort of thing. And, as @labatt says, you can forget about updates for cable modems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 9
nasch007
Aspirant

I appreciate the feedback but that's just a bit of Monday Morning Quaterbacking, isn't it?

I've already got the gateway... instead of talking about the perils of gateways and why it's better to have a different product.. let's try and help the issue.

Do I have any options here with what I have, or not?

Would this count as a defect? Should I try and get a warranty claim?

Message 4 of 9

@nasch007 wrote:

Do I have any options here with what I have, or not?

Would this count as a defect? Should I try and get a warranty claim?

Read what @labatt says.

You have a cable modem/router. It is beyond user control.

What would the grounds be for a warranty claim when you are trying to do something that the device is not designed for? What "defect" do you detect?

If you don't accept @labatt comments, the best place to talk about the use of third party firmware is over where they make it.

Netgear doesn't support third party firmware, and won't be able to help, and there aren't enough experienced regulars here to be much help, certainly not for devices that are known to be immune to firmware tweaking.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 9
nasch007
Aspirant

I typed up a reply earlier but it didn't post correctly. Even after giving me badges for writing a reply. Argh Netgear's website is garbage.

Sigh.

I'm getting a lot of DOS, Teardrop, SYN floods in my logs. I'm also losing internet periodically when this happens, for a decent time period.

It looks like the addresses are from my wife's iphone which is super clean (she installs like nothing on it), as well as an ipad that is locked down, secured from her school district. I've also had it recently when trying to launch Amazon Prime Video app from not one, but two different smart tvs. Whois on the IPs in the log during that time period shows Seattle servers owned by Amazon, so I'm 99% sure it wasn't anything malicious.

If you google, these forums and others are filled with similar issues. Just look up SYN flood, Teardrop, iPhone, etc. THAT's why I would consider this a defect, and wonder about a warranty, and THAT's why I am looking at open source firmware. Sorry I wasn't more specific the first time. Like I said the reply didn't go through.

Message 6 of 9
nasch007
Aspirant

Here's an example of what I'm seeing.

(Attached)

Is this normal?

Like I said, there's a decent number of people with this issue... am I truly being hacked so often? Despite the security protocol in use, and despite the strong password?

Message 7 of 9

I'm confused. The latest messages seem to have not much to do with the one that kicked off this discussions. If you are now asking ab out DoS attack entries in the logs, there is plenty of information on that around here. (I leave you to do your own forum search.) In your image, I see evidence of local traffic and "attacks" from a site (129.2.21.0) that tracks back to the University of Maryland . One strategy for dealing with those floods is to turn of logging of those events. The theory behind that one is that the very act of logging causes strain on the processor which can disrupt the traffic on your network.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 9
nasch007
Aspirant

Not trying to derail my own thread, rather, was trying to show what kicked this off in the first place. I don't believe this traffic is true attacks, that happen so regularly and consistently, with the same addresses and ports and destinations. It doesn't make sense, and it seems indeed like false positives or false reporting. As you said, there are many people describing this issue I seem to be facing something similar to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/DoS-attack-Teardrop-or-derivative-Ping-of-Deat... and or https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/DoS-attack-Teardrop-or-derivative-WAN-goes-unr... and or https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8555452

I will turn off my HP wireless printer and look into IPv6 settings and see if these things clear from my log. If they don't, I have already forced specific IP address for my devices so maybe access control is next. Then try your suggestion and turn off the logging for those events.

Still, seems like an issue with the Firmware moreso than my network setup. That's why I was wonering if this is normal, why so many people have a similiar experience, and if it could be defective design/issue with the gateway. And that's what I was wondering if would be covered under warranty.

Looks like I've got some work to do I guess. Thank you for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements