Anybody ever have Netgear ask for Wireshark packet captures?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Anybody ever have Netgear ask for Wireshark packet captures?

If so, how did you send them?

The online support tool doesn't accept large files and a 30-second packet capture of this AFP vs. SMB issue is ~250MB.

They don't have a public FTP server and aren't allowed to use instant messaging.

They're wanting me to sign up for Teamserver remote control or send them the files through anonymous ShareSend, which I am not about to do.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Anybody ever have Netgear ask for Wireshark packet captures?

I don't think you can send any file via portal etc. I would use dropbox or something and them to download from these free services
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Yes, I sent them wireshark captures a couple of times. Mine weren't that large, they gave me the URL of a site to upload to, which it did. Pretty simple for smaller captures.
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can attach files of up to 30MB via the Support portal.

Because the problem I'm having has to do with AFP and SMB, I had to capture an actual file transfer, so my captures were over 250MB.

They're in the Philippines, and they aren't allowed to use about half of these tools it seems. For the free services like ShareSend, they have a 100MB limit, so I couldn't use them either. I never even thought about DropBox but they never suggested it either. I'm also not hip on the idea of having to sign up for a new account just so they can get files they asked for...

They were pretty insistent on using Teamserver, which is essentially remote desktop. I just wasn't comfortable with that.

I ended up creating a firewalled FTP server and having them download the files directly from me. Pretty crappy that I have to go to so much trouble IMO. You would think a company the size of Netgear would be better prepared.
Message 4 of 7
stevnim
Star

I'd suggest Dropbox, also. After uploading a file, you can then email a link to Netgear.
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

They at times have the same attitude as the Designers of the Titanic.:confused: It would appear you haven't reached high enough up their food chain yet If they're putting you through these petty steps.

It's been a while, last time I sent them a capture which, was quite large too, They provide a link for me to use.

Keep up the good work, too bad you cannot claim them as Doing Charity Work on your taxes. LOL
Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I ended up signing up for DropBox. Pretty sad that I have to sign up for an account that I don't really need and won't use for anything but this...
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E