Re: Anyone tried the Millitronic mg360 WiGig usb adapter?

SScandy
Luminary

Anyone tried the Millitronic mg360 WiGig usb adapter?

I just saw an advertisement for the Millitronic mg360 WiGig usb adapter, and I wonder if anyone has tried it out? I have the Netgear R9000 router (which is one of the ones that the Millitronic has supposedly been tested with) and am curious about how well it works.

Millitronic WiGig adapter

Message 1 of 10

@SScandy wrote:

I just saw an advertisement for the Millitronic mg360 WiGig usb adapter

Netgear makes its own USB adapters. You might get better answers over in the places where they support that hardware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
myersw
Master

This is a Netgear forum 

If you want to know about a non netgear product check that products web site. 

Not sure I want that hanging off of the back of my PC by the way. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 10
antinode
Guru

> This is a Netgear forum

And people with Netgear routers couldn't possibly have any experience
with this adapter?

> If you want to know about a non netgear product check that products
> web site.

And if you're looking for people who have used this adapter, you
can't ask about it anywhere other than "that product[']s web site"?

Who made you King of the World?

> [...] Not sure I want that hanging off of the back of my PC by the
> way.

Who asked you?  You're just full of priceless opinions, aren't you?

Message 4 of 10
SScandy
Luminary

I know this is a Netgear forum, however the Millitronic adapter that I referred to was specifically made to be used with the Netgear R9000 router, so I thought that someone here might have some experience with that product.

I am an active member in several forums and it never has been a problem discussing other manufacturers products, especially if they are meant to be used with the devices being discussed in the forum.

myersw, I thought your answer was very unhelpful, and uncalled for. I do not care if you want that device on your system. I was asking if anyone had experience with the MG360, and how well it worked for them.
Message 5 of 10

@antinode wrote:

Who made you King of the World?

> [...] Not sure I want that hanging off of the back of my PC by the
> way.

Who asked you?  You're just full of priceless opinions, aren't you?

https://kb.netgear.com/000052286/NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 10
SScandy
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

@SScandy wrote:

I just saw an advertisement for the Millitronic mg360 WiGig usb adapter

Netgear makes its own USB adapters. You might get better answers over in the places where they support that hardware.

Netgear does not make a WiGig USB adapter. As far as I can determine, the Millitronics MG360 is the only 802.11ad USB adapter that is actually for sale. It is specified to work with the Netgear R9000 router, which is why I thought it would be sensible to ask if anyone here has tried it.

Message 7 of 10
JimmyDr2011
Initiate

Yes I have used this adapter with the R9000 and was not impressed with real life throughput. I expected 2 -3 Gbits/second for fast wireless data transfers which was not to be. Here is the review that I posted on Amazon.

I wanted a dongle to try to see the viability of WiFi AD for fast wireless data transfers. I have a 10 Gbit home network setup with two mikrotek 16 and 4 port switches and Netgear R9000 triband router. I had tried and failed to use an Intel 18365 and 18360 triband wireless cards with their antennae for wireless networking. Since millitronic has introduced the first such device I decided to take the plunge. On connecting the device the device driver is available on its internal storage. After driver installation and rebooting both the router and pc was able to connect within 2 metre distance at a speed of 3.8 Mbps. Unfortunately this is a theoretical speed. When practically transferring data the speeds are around 20MB per second much lower than my intel9260 card and Netgear A7000 as they can connect at real life speeds of 60 MB per second on 5 GHz on large file transfers. The other downside is the very small line of site range of 3 meters horizontally and 1 metre vertically leading to a unstable connection with the millitronic. Will update if I see better results.
Did tests on a different gaming desktop over USB 3.1 gen 2, reads from a 3x4TB WD Red RAID 0 NAS partition to Samsung 970 evo NVMe drives is 160 MB per second however the other way round is only 25 MB per second.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 10
SScandy
Luminary

@JimmyDr2011 Thanks a lot for that review. I really appreciate it!

The speeds you are getting are disappointing. Like you, I was hoping for at least 2 Gbits/second. Glad I held off buying it!

Message 9 of 10
AlexTheLion
Initiate

Actually I bought Millitronic MG360 from Amazon as well .

Testing with iperf3 -c ip -b 2G -l 7500  ( and it can reach around 900-950 Mbps )

with iperf3 -u -c ip -b 2G -l 7500 ( and it can reach 1200 Mbps )

the working distance only covers 3 meters in front of Netgear R9000.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E