Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyway to live monitor the traffic?

Anyway to live monitor the traffic?

I want to see the live traffic on my r7000, to see if it has too much load on it or there is breathing area to run more things. I am limited to about 40Mbps , so I don't want to start a download when others are using it and video/audio streams start stuttering for everyone else.

I can do this on my computer, but it will only report traffic on it not other devices.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Anyway to live monitor the traffic?

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

No, I have not. I heard QoS tempers with connectivity giving less than desired results. I even disabled WMM.

I am just looking to see Mbps coming and going out through the router. So If I have 3 devices each using 5Mbps , I want to see a graph or monitoring tool that reads "15Mbps⬇ 0Mbps⬆"

I do understand. Can't be done as far as I know, at least not with Traffic Meter.

QoS can slow down the Internet, but generally on speeds over 100Mbps. It works best in the situation you have, streaming and game play get the most bandwidth so they can work better. Might want to give it a try, it might automatically do what you want and remove the worry about slowing down PC doing some things.

What you want has been requested before, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/realtime-bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idi-.... I think some of it has been done on the R9000, or other routers, even the Netgear Commercial ones (cost more).

I did find this, https://www.howtogeek.com/222740/how-to-the-monitor-the-bandwidth-and-data-usage-of-individual-devic..., which appears to be what you want?

There are quite a few threads here on this, Goog;e 'netgear traffic meter by device' to see them, but the 'solved' are not really.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

You can see 'load' by looking at the DEBUG.HTM page on a Browser. When you log into the router with a browser, the page it uses is START.HTM. Just replace START.HTM with DEBUG.HTM and press enter. You see something like this:

---------------------

Basic Information           CPU Load

CPU1: 2.53% CPU2: 2.01%

Memory Usage (Used/Total)

67MB/249MB

Flash Usage (Used/Total)

8MB/128MB

Network Session (Active/Total)

547/65792

System Uptime

3 days 12:29:27

Debug Log Capture

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture
                                     Store location          

=======

The CPU load basically should tell you when you are overloaded. The LAST checkbox will allow you to log (to RAM I recall?) all TCP/IP packets. Reading those can be a chore though. Long time since I used it, and to be honest, forgot how to read the logged data?

I've also used WireShark (https://www.wireshark.org/, more info on it) and I recall that does log all the traffic as well. It has some tools to help you read the data.

Message 2 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] replace START.HTM with DEBUG.HTM [...]

He may mean "start.htm" and "debug.htm" in this case-sensitive
situation.

Message 3 of 9

thanks for helping me, but this shows the CPU load. I wanted to see the traffic metering, like how many Mbps in and how many out. On a PC you can see this in Resource Monitor

Message 4 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Correct, did that for emphasis, should have used 'start.htm' and 'debug.htm'.

Message 5 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@Appleuser2000, I am not sure what you are looking for? "live monitor" to me meant the TCP/IP packets going in and out. Seems you want 'Traffic Metering', but only at a specific point in time?

That is you want to know, by device, at any given time, which device is using 'how much' of your 40Mbps d/l capability?

I don't know of a way to do that?

It might be possible on some routers? Newer NG routers I think have a better Traffic Meter function that breaks it down by device or program, which I think the RAX series does. Possible a 3rd party f/w does as well.

However, the situation you describe might be best handled by enabling QoS with your ISP speed. It is DYNAMIC in that you can't specify who gets priority. The router has built-in decision making. Video and game play usually gets priority and d/l'ing the least.

Have you tried that?

Message 6 of 9

No, I have not. I heard QoS tempers with connectivity giving less than desired results. I even disabled WMM.

I am just looking to see Mbps coming and going out through the router. So If I have 3 devices each using 5Mbps , I want to see a graph or monitoring tool that reads "15Mbps⬇ 0Mbps⬆"

Message 7 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

I do understand. Can't be done as far as I know, at least not with Traffic Meter.

QoS can slow down the Internet, but generally on speeds over 100Mbps. It works best in the situation you have, streaming and game play get the most bandwidth so they can work better. Might want to give it a try, it might automatically do what you want and remove the worry about slowing down PC doing some things.

What you want has been requested before, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/realtime-bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idi-.... I think some of it has been done on the R9000, or other routers, even the Netgear Commercial ones (cost more).

I did find this, https://www.howtogeek.com/222740/how-to-the-monitor-the-bandwidth-and-data-usage-of-individual-devic..., which appears to be what you want?

There are quite a few threads here on this, Goog;e 'netgear traffic meter by device' to see them, but the 'solved' are not really.

Message 8 of 9

well, thanks for your time for helping me out. Seems like a common sense feature to include in a modern router though... maybe it taxes the device or something.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7