alexthefool
Aspirant

Are the n and ac connections affecting each other?

I have read some articles about the bluffing nature of AC-somthing-bigger-than-1750. Generally they are about lacking of corresponding devices, the n600 is useless, the slowest connection drags the faster connections, blah blah blah etc. They are quite technical to be understood or criticized. In layman's language, may I just ask a question according to my situation......

I have about 9 old mobile devices in my family, they can only connect with 2.5G, 2 newer mobiles can connect with 5G in n mode. One laptop comes with an 11ac adapter. The laptop is for working and streaming while the others are occasional used only. So my concern is:

Will the laptop connection speed (11ac) be affected by the slower 2.5G and 5G (n)?

I am begging for a simple yes or no answer...... or how to avoid it. I hope it is not that difficult. I am fed up with many technical articles already. Of course, explanations in layman's term is also enlightening.

Many thanks.

Alex
Message 1 of 5
avtella
Prodigy

Re: Are the n and ac connections affecting each other?

The devices on 2.4Ghz won't effect those on 5Ghz.

As for mixing N and AC on 5Ghz, basically the router alternates between devices in a round robin fashion. So if you have slower devices connected to the same band it will spend a little more time on the slower devices (as it takes longer to move data) so it will cause it to be slower but not enough that you would notice it.
Message 2 of 5
alexthefool
Aspirant

thanks.
that means if I force the 5G 11n mobiles to connect with 2.4G 11n, the 11ac laptop can use the 5G band alone without being affected?

I think the r7500 is capable to handle that eleven 2.5G devices without a glitch.....
Message 3 of 5
Cybercare
Aspirant

On this router the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz are totally separate chips.

The Broadcom based ones are single chipped.

That said, on any dual-band router the 2.4 shouldn't impact the 5. The only true impact would be if they are using all available resources on the router due to high bw etc. etc.

You're fine.

You can also have n and ac clients connected to 5GHz without issue.

I have no problems in a mixed env.

In the old days this wasn't true. An 802.11b client will destroy an 802.11g or n client's performance. But an N and AC will be fine.
Message 4 of 5
alexthefool
Aspirant

Thanks Cybercare! Smiley Very Happy
it is clear enough and clear my confusion from all those tech articles...Smiley Wink

All stay well now.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements