Re: Assigning a printer to a different network segment

jfaulk
Aspirant

Assigning a printer to a different network segment

Hello - I'm not too technical so bear with me please. Purchased an HP Envy Photo 7155 and set it up to run on the wireless network. It brings the network down....all the time to the point where I keep the printer powered off. Contacted HP support and they tried to get it fixed. Finally they said it was a router problem. Seems the HP wants to be on the same network segment as the 2.4 network and in effect brings the 2.4 down when it communicates with HP (I guess). Any suggestions on how to keep the HP wireless on a seperate segement?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
William10a
Master

@jfaulk wrote:

Hello - I'm not too technical so bear with me please. Purchased an HP Envy Photo 7155 and set it up to run on the wireless network. It brings the network down....all the time to the point where I keep the printer powered off. Contacted HP support and they tried to get it fixed. Finally they said it was a router problem. Seems the HP wants to be on the same network segment as the 2.4 network and in effect brings the 2.4 down when it communicates with HP (I guess). Any suggestions on how to keep the HP wireless on a seperate segement?

What do you have for a network one single network or two independent networks ?

The printers wifi should lock onto the network of your choice as long as they are not the same sidd if you have two 2.4 ghz bands and leave the other alone.

Message 2 of 6
jfaulk
Aspirant

We have 2 network names. One for the 2.4 and one for the 5 band. Maybe I'm not using the correct terms. I believe the HP support was trying to move the HP Envy wireless to a different channel, which he couldn't do. For whatever reason, the HP Envy creates it's own wireless network maybe? And both it and my 2.4 SIDD are residing on the same channel (6). If I try to move my 2.4 SIDD to a different channel, the HP SIDD follows it and I am assuming, based on what I could gather from HP, that is the problem. When he logged on to my router, he could not change the HP SIDD's channel. This is beyond my technical knowledge. I thought connecting a device like a wireless printer would be like connecting your laptop where it is just assigned an IP address.

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@jfaulk wrote:

I never have seen this? Got a wireless HP7520 and it NEVER has done this for me?

Please define "It brings the network down"? Is it totally killing the network that no other device can use it or does it slow it down so it hardly works?

If it "kills" the network, how many devices do you have on the network? Only 1? Then I suspect you have a network conflict, two devices trying to connect to the same IP Address.

It is best to set the HP to a fixed IP Address outside the DHCP range. Solves the conflict issue.

Message 4 of 6
jfaulk
Aspirant

I never have seen this? Got a wireless HP7520 and it NEVER has done this for me?

- Yes, when I look at NETGEAR Genie (or my Mac for that matter) for available SIDDs, there is an DIRECT-38-HP Envy Photo 7100 created by the printer during wireless setup. It's residing on the same channel as my 2.4 band network.

Please define "It brings the network down"? Is it totally killing the network that no other device can use it or does it slow it down so it hardly works? 

- Totally killing the network to the point that my SIDDs disappear and all devices lose connectivity.

If it "kills" the network, how many devices do you have on the network? Only 1? Then I suspect you have a network conflict, two devices trying to connect to the same IP Address.

- We have multiple devices (Tivo, Xbox, Mac, iPhones, Amazon Fire, Alex, Harmony Hub, etc.) connected to the network. If it's an IP conflict, it's the printer because this doesn't happen when the printer is powered off. That's our workaround...keep the printer powered completely off until we need to printer, then turn it on, print (quickly!) then power off. It doesn't happen immediately after powering the printer on. It takes several minutes before the network comes down.

It is best to set the HP to a fixed IP Address outside the DHCP range. Solves the conflict issue.

- I will try that and see if it resolves the issue.

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Conflict will cause a SINGLE device to disconnect as the printer would take that IP Address. This appears NOT to be the case.

"there is an DIRECT-38-HP Envy Photo 7100 created by the printer during wireless setup."

Ahh, that may be your problem!!! That is the printer opening up its OWN Network. Probably causing interference with the present network or causing some of your devices to connect to it? Check the other devices when they 'loose' the network and see where they are connected? Probably to the printer is what they connected too? Have them ALL forget that network and you'd probably be set.

Check HERE for details on WiFi Connect on the printer. Note, that once a device connects to this network it CAN NOT be used to access the Internet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements