Attached Devices not showing bandwidth usage anymore

Gindra
Tutor

Attached Devices not showing bandwidth usage anymore

A couple weeks ago I noticed that the Attached Devices list had changed format.  It used to list the devices in a column from top to bottom and showed the Bandwidth usage of each device.  How much they were using for Download/Upload and even what that devices was using at the time ie Netfilx.  

Now the devices are all there in two columns and the Usage by device is missing.  

Any way to get this back?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Attached Devices not showing bandwidth usage anymore

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
Gindra
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

V1.0.5.8

Message 3 of 10

The latest, which may mean that they have changed things and that reverting to older firmware will get you back to where you were.

Then again, I am surprised that you could see " the Bandwidth usage of each device".

It has been a constant complaint that Netgear's routers have never provided that information.

I see no sign in the manual that the R9000 supports that.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 10
Gindra
Tutor

Yeah, it was a great feature.  There were  horizontal bars next to each device that grew or shrank as the device used more or less bandwidth.  Clicking on the bars showed you what programs/apps were the  ones using the bandwidth.  

I was able to see the cause of my suddenly very slow internet speed.  One of my devices was doing a full download of all photos on iCloud.  It was a mistake but it was killing our ability to stream a tv show.  So I was able to stop the iCloud download and all was good. This would not have been possible without the ability to see graphically which device was the culprit and which program that device was using.

Message 5 of 10
ktamas77
Aspirant

I was wondering why this feature is not working.
I just purchased a Nighthawk RAX200 AX12 router, updated to the latest firmware - and the per device bandwidth usage graph was always empty. 

Firmware Version V1.0.2.8_1.0.45

I'm wondering if anyone figured out how to fix it or if the devs will roll out an udpated firmware with a fix soon.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 10
jetspeedz
Luminary

On the R9000 what firmware allowed you to view bandwidth?

Message 7 of 10

This is still a problem on V1.0.5.8, I do have QOS turned on to be able to see this otherwise its not an option. I actually just tried to turn QOS off and on again and got a message that QOS failed to start. Rebooting the router had no change and QOS is now still turned off. I have hard set values for the up and down rate if that helps someone from netgear diagnose. Setting the speedtest automatically made no difference. 

Yeah QOS is def broke which is why this feature to see bandwidth of devices is broke, QOS will not start on V1.0.5.8

For the user that said this was not actually a thing that the r9000 had, here is another thread from 2017 which detailed the feature in use with screenshots
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Bandwidth-utilization-by-device-and-application-...

Message 8 of 10

Ok looks like the firmware auto update prompt was broken as well, I manually searched for firmware updates and there has been two in the past year and current is v1.0.5.24. After applying and it and restarted the qos setting was checkmarked as enabled but still no bandwidth usage. I unchecked it and saved and then checked it again and saved and now I have the bandwidth usage back! yay

Message 9 of 10
raehrlich
Aspirant

I know this is a little older thread, but I ran into the same issue where the individual bandwitch usage was no longer show up on the attached devices page. After reading this thread, I reenabled QOS and the usage bars now show up again.  Firmware Version: V1.0.11.106_10.2.100

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements