Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Attached devices page shows blanks sted cam icons

fox5wizard
Aspirant

Attached devices page shows blanks sted cam icons

Listing of attached devices allows all appropriate icons but select a "cam" icon and get a blank.  What's up with that?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

@fox5wizard wrote:

Listing of attached devices allows all appropriate icons but select a "cam" icon and get a blank.  What's up with that?

Hard to tell with such a perfunctory description.

What does "select" mean? (There are various options depending on where you are looking.)

Where are you looking for this? Browser graphical user interface? Mobile app? Desktop "genie" program for your operating system?

I like the desktop genie because I can right click the thing and can edit the icon and its description. I can also see the IP address and other details and can even click some of them to access its controls.

A complicating factor is the firmware on your device. Recent versions of some firmware on some devices have broken the "connected devices" feature in some circumstances.

So, with so many unknowns at your end, there is no simple answer to "What's up with that?"

Message 2 of 5
fox5wizard
Aspirant

I neglected to include the partial screen shot showing the missing icons.  Here it is:

nighthawk_missing_cam_icon.jpg

My R7960P is using firmware V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 which it insists is the latest.  Under "Adminstration" / "Attached Devices" I can "select" a dvice by checking its box and then clicking "Edit."  Under the Drop down for Device Type, I've chosen "Camera" and a cam icon is displayed fine.  But when I hit "Apply" nothing happens and the Cam icon is not displayed  in the appropriate column like every other "type" icon.

Message 3 of 5

@fox5wizard wrote:

My R7960P is using firmware V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 which it insists is the latest. 

The on-board version check is not the most reliable. It can miss newer firmware. In this case, there is already a newer "hotfix".

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

This is about a  month old:

R7960P Firmware Version 1.4.1.82 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A "hotfix" can be a beta version that may or may not land on the official update server.

@fox5wizard wrote:

Under the Drop down for Device Type, I've chosen "Camera" and a cam icon is displayed fine.  But when I hit "Apply" nothing happens and the Cam icon is not displayed  in the appropriate column like every other "type" icon.

Those icons cause much grief. People turn up here asking for an ever larger array of icons to go with their IoT toys. The choice, and their behaviour seems to be down to the firmware on the router. If it doesn't play ball, you are stuffed. Fortunately, it is a cosmetic thing that has little effect on the operation of your network.

It can sometimes be entertaining to play around with the icon set in the desktop genie for your operating system. That may have more choices than you now see.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 5
fox5wizard
Aspirant

R7960P accessed via Win10PC using Firefox.  Current Firmware Version
V1.4.1.82_1.3.40 

Updated firmware, tried the newest version first, then the Hotfix mentioned above. Neither solved the problem or offered a Cam icon.  Went back to the latest firmware.  Tried the Netgear Nighthawk app on my android tablet, no luck there.  Tried the Netgear Genie app on my Win10 PC and spent way too much time applying details to each device including proper camera icons, but alas, it had no effect on the router app.  Yeah, it's just cosmetic, but it's become an annoying challenge.  Anyone else?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7