Auto Firmware Update slows router

dkc007spirit
Aspirant

Auto Firmware Update slows router

Router suddenly slowed down.  Checked and firmware updated.  Tried to revert back to previous firmware and device will not load an .img file -- even when directly connected to router.  When I called customer support, I was told that since my 1 year warranty expired 1 and half months ago, I would have to purchase a support package.  Was this done intentionally?  

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
antinode
Guru

Re: Auto Firmware Update slows router

> [...] firmware updated. [...]

From what to what, how?

> [...] Tried to revert back to previous firmware and device will not
> load an .img file -- even when directly connected to router. [...]

"tried" + "will not" is not a useful problem description.  It does
not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.
As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Which file are you trying to load how?  When _what_ is "connected to
router"?  What does "directly" mean to you?

Message 2 of 11

@dkc007spirit wrote:

Router suddenly slowed down.  Checked and firmware updated.  Tried to revert back to previous firmware and device will not load an .img file -- even when directly connected to router.  When I called customer support, I was told that since my 1 year warranty expired 1 and half months ago, I would have to purchase a support package.  Was this done intentionally?  

Greetings,

Yes, unfortunately automatic updates don't always go smoothly or give us satisfactory results.  The best thing to do is disable automatic update and alwyas perform this operation manually, as you described, from a PC connected via ethernet.  Upgrades should be planned and on your terms.

After a FW upgrade is performed, if you experience unsatisfactory performance, we recommend resetting the router as sometimes old settings are not compatile with new FW or features.  Since your router is not performing as expected, try resetting and reconfiguring to see if expected performance returns.

Flashing or reflashing.  You can flash forward, backwards or the same firmware version over itself if you like.  Just curious, what FW version is your router running?

1.0.2.24 is the latest FW available for the R6700v2

You said you are trying to go back to an earlier FW version.  Did you unzip the downloaded file?  What happens when you browse to this fiile and press the upload button? 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 11
microchip8
Master

On NETGEAR's stock firmware, I recommend disabling auto updates due to how bad the stock firmware is implemented. It causes more harm than good. Firmware update should also always be done over a wired connection using the Web GUI of the firmware. Don't rely on WiFi or Genie on your smartphone

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 11

I'm with @microchip8. Don't enable automatic firmware updates.

Also check what @shadowsports says about the firmware version. Which version are you on?

The automated process does not always deliver the latest.

Here's a guide guide to the other suggestion from @shadowsports:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 11
dkc007spirit
Aspirant

Router upgraded to current version V1.0.1.48_10.0.46

However, the COMMUNITY has suggested 1.0.1.22.  However, that is an .IMG file and every time I have tried to load that type of file, I get the message that I cannot. 

Message 6 of 11

@dkc007spirit wrote:

Router upgraded to current version V1.0.1.48_10.0.46

However, the COMMUNITY has suggested 1.0.1.22.  However, that is an .IMG file and every time I have tried to load that type of file, I get the message that I cannot. 

Neither of those has anything to do with the R6700v2, the model in your footer.

This is the latest for V2:

R6700v2 Firmware Version 1.2.0.24 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

V1.0.1.48_10.0.46 does not exist for the V2.

Remember, V2 and V1 are different hardware. You can't use firmware for one on the other.

The latest firmware for the V1 variant is here:

R6700 Firmware Version 1.0.1.48 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It contains a "chk" file. No "img" in sight.

I see no "img" files in the firmware for the V1 either.

Likewise the older version:

R6700 Firmware Version 1.0.1.22 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

So where did you get this .img file?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 11
dkc007spirit
Aspirant

Understood, but if you click on the link that you provided, the download is an .IMG file which will not load onto my router.  Router says that it will only accept .CHK files

Message 8 of 11

@dkc007spirit wrote:

Understood, but if you click on the link that you provided, the download is an .IMG file which will not load onto my router. 

Which link is that?

Both the links I provided go to release notes that have links to zip files.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6700/R6700-V1.0.1.48_10.0.46.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6700/R6700-V1.0.1.22_10.0.33.zip

If you unzip either of those files they deliver you a .chk file.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 11
dkc007spirit
Aspirant

Hmm, Thanks for resending.  The zip files that i received had .IMG files - but these links contain the .CHK

You have been AMAZING help!  Thank you very much.  I wonder if you have any experience on what has been my original problem.  When the R6700v2 auto installed the latest firmware my WIFI speed dropped from 80 - 100 Mb/s to 25 - 30 Mb/s.  That's why I started looking at a prior release of firmware that did not affect my wifi speed.  Any suggestions?  I loaded the prior version that you provided me the link for, but still only getting  25 - 30 Mb/s.  

Thank you

Message 10 of 11

@dkc007spirit wrote:

Hmm, Thanks for resending.  The zip files that i received had .IMG files - but these links contain the .CHK

So what was the link that gave you those .img files?

@dkc007spirit wrote:
Any suggestions? 

Just the one posted some messages ago.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E