Re: Auto reboot?

Wink1464
Aspirant

Auto reboot?

R7000 — Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band  Router. 4 users, Dell Inspiron, MacBook, Apple and Android phones, Fire stick, Chromecast, smart tvs -------------

When we have multiple devices on (Xbox, Netflex, Amazon Prime, laptop use) our wifi starts to lag and the devices slow. When we reboot the system things improve and we can go a few days untill rebooting the router once again. Is there a section where we can set the router to reboot automatically?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 46
tlmassey
Apprentice

You shouldn't need to reboot the router like this.  It sounds like it's having problems managing all of the data.  I'd work to get to the bottom of that problem first, before resorting to periodic router reboots.

Do you have QoS enabled?  If so, maybe it's throttling things you'd rather it not.  If not, maybe you'd be happier with the results of letting it manage your bandwidth.  How much bandwidth does your ISP provide, nominally?  If the data usage patterns really aren't changing at all after the reboot, then it might ot be a bandwidth limitation.

Besides the ISP bandwidth, there's also the wireless band's own data rate limitation (the two numbers that add up to 1900).  If all of your devices are on the same band, try assigning some of them to the other (i.e. half on the 2.4 GHz band, half on the 5 GHz band).

If you really want to issue a periodic reboot, you might need to scripting it from the Mac... but it's unclear it'd be possible since the router may not give you the necessary level of access, much less a good use of your time unless you were just itching to learn about writing Unix shell scripts.

Message 2 of 46
Wink1464
Aspirant

Thank you for all the detailed information. I turned QoS off yesterday before I posted (I had it on so my sons Xbox could have better and quicker experience). I am running on very low bandwith, a max of 3 and usually pull in 1.7. Nothing else is offered in my area at this time.

Message 3 of 46
tlmassey
Apprentice

I see.  It's likely that the slowdown is just due to your ISP bandwidth limitations, as streaming netflix in 1080p takes roughly 2 Mbps, which sounds like would already saturate your connection.  720p would take roughly half that (44% plus a bit more for audio and overhead).  One option would be to manually lower the resolution that Netflix streams, since by default it will adjust automatically.  Its goal is to avoid stops and starts in the video due to buffering, but it doesn't mind taking up all of the available bandwidth.

I would venture a guess that when you reboot your router every couple of days, you're inadvertently killing off some processes that had been using bandwidth, such as automatic xbox updates, kids downloading videos/music, etc.

A quick google search didn't turn up any options for resetting the router automatically, so your easiest option is probably to reset it through the Genie app on your phone.  It's only something like 2-3 button presses, if you save your router login password.

Message 4 of 46
Wink1464
Aspirant

Thanks once again for your help and knowledge with my issues.

I contacted my ISP and they do not plan to update the bandwidth to 10 as they have in several other locations for the 2018 work plan. They also are concentrating on installing *highspeed internet in more citywide populaed areas. I will sit by untill something faster in my area comes by.

I appreciate the time and effort you took in helping in my issues.

Wink1464

Message 5 of 46
Lorin2018
Star

Re: Auto reboot needed?

I need to reboot router daily. Every morning I have no internet until i reboot. Can I set a reboot to occur each night automatically?
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi Lorin2018,

What is the firmware version of the router?

Do you have stable connection from the modem?

Message 7 of 46
Lorin2018
Star

R8000P--Firmware Version is V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 Sometimes it goes 2 days without needing a reboot. Usually what happens is that everything looks fine, the modem is working fine and even the internet phone service (on the modem) is fine. I'm connected wireless and on another computer wired. However, there is no internet connection unless I reboot. I have no way to know if there was some momentary glitch on the modem but even so it should restore itself. It seems to happen during the overnight hours but sometimes it is working when I get up but later in the morning needs a reboot. It only happens once in a 24 hour period or a 48 hour period.
Message 8 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Message 9 of 46
schumaku
Guru

@JamesGL wrote:

Can you try this firmware?

The download link supplied by @JasonN expired days ago already.

Download Link Expired.PNG

Message 10 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi schumaku,

This has been changed last week. Thank you.

Message 11 of 46
kinetic8
Initiate

I have the same problem, have to reset router almost everyday - if i reset it works perfect. Have had the ISP out and they can't find any problems on their end. I don't know what else to do. I am running firmware: V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 - how do I auto set it to reset without me powering it down every freaking day????????!!!!!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 46
Lorin2018
Star

Message 13 of 46
Lorin2018
Star

Sorry my last  message  was missing the data. I  also have to reboot daily  in order to be sure it works all day. We need a tempory automatic reboot untill the problem is fixed. We need a target date for a real fix or offer a complete refund !!

Message 14 of 46
Eric_Cartman
Guide

I always wondered why there is no auto reboot schedule ie: once per week at 4am auto reboot...
In any event I had this problem on an old router.... I simply plugged the routers plug into a plug timer and set it to knock off each night at 3am when no one was using.
Power cuts out and restarts after 15 mins.
Not sure if advisable for netgear but was my cure !
Routing: Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC 3200 Router
Access Points: Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 Access Points x 2
Message 15 of 46
agilliam
Aspirant

I too have this same problem. Not daily. However it’s monthly. Every month it drops and wake up to no connection. Once I reboot the router presto it all works fine. Seems it’s becoming more like Microsoft where it has to constantly reboot as opposed to Linux that can be up 24/7 and I’ve had my servers up for 3 years no reboots. I know these routers use a derivative Of Linux, but why do I have to reboot every month? This started after the router was about 1 & 1/2 years old. It stated out every 6 months or about. Maybe 3x a year. Now it’s every month.

Did you ever find anything out? I know DD-WRT has this option but I haven’t uploaded that to this because I like the features of this router and didn’t want to void the warranty (which is now expired).
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 46
TarasDz
Aspirant

I have to reboot my router daily or up to 3 times per day with whole day intensive use. Dont have any QoS turned-on. After reboot internet speed returns back to 200Mb download and 20 upload. Do you have any beta firmware for my router?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 17 of 46
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

What firmware version are you on TarasDz? have you tried to rollback to .42 firmware version?

DarrenM

Message 18 of 46
TarasDz
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer

Router Firmware Version V1.0.2.60 

No, I didn't try to downgrade yet. I could try if you can point me out to where I can download older versions.

Message 19 of 46
antinode
Guru

> [...] point me out to where I can download older versions.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 20 of 46
TarasDz
Aspirant

Thank you, just did it.

There was no .42 version so I installed  .44. 

Will try it this week.

Kind regards

Message 21 of 46
TarasDz
Aspirant

More than one  week and no reboot required - looks good

Thank you again 

Message 22 of 46
rivertm
Aspirant

I don't know why Netgear not support auto reboot. My router sometime lost internet and need to reboot to return back to normal. I need set schedule one per week. If have auto reboot I don't need to worry about it if I go travel, my NAS will work good anytime and I can go anywhere. OR change the Router to another brand and never comeback. 

Message 23 of 46
twokatmew
Guide

I agree! I'd switch to DD-WRT for the auto-reboot feature alone if I didn't need the full benefit of my R7000 for my gigabit fiber connection. Every couple of weeks it just goes off-line. My house is wired, and the router sits up on a shelf in my basement, so I have to climb a ladder every time it goes off-line. It messes up SmartThings and Alexa. I just ordered a smart outlet so I can do it remotely. It's not hard to build an auto-reboot feature into firmware, Netgear!

Message 24 of 46
mjc775
Tutor

+1 for an Auto reboot option. I've had the R7000 for many years, and within the past 6 months or so various devices on my network will slowly lose internet connection over the period of a few hours until finally everything is disconnected. A few months ago I tried rolling back 1-2 firmware versions - I currently sit at 1.0.9.42.

I'm currently on a 12-day Hawaiian vacation. I rebooted/power-cycled my router the morning I left. I've got 2-days left and last night I started getting email notifications that one of my Nest cameras was offline. Sure enough over the next 2.5 hours or so, I slowly lost connection with my Nest thermostat, then 2nd Nest camera, Hue lights, home weather station, Dish Anywhere, etc. I anxiously await getting home in 2 days so I can reboot my router and hope that I didn't miss anyone breaking into my home, because my Nest cameras are no longer uploading video.

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements