Re: Auto reboot?

agilliam
Aspirant

If your connection is dropping after a couple hours, your router is more than likely on it’s last leg and on the way out. He stated you’ve had it for many years, and it just recently started losing connection more frequently. Usually that’s caused by excess heat buildup and old age. If you don’t have your router in a place where there’s adequate ventilation or airflow that will happen. I have my router in a closet with a fan blowing over the router and another one blowing air out one side sucking air in from the other side. I’ve had really good luck with keeping my routers for 10+ years. I just upgrade for the newer technology.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 46
mjc775
Tutor

@agilliam wrote:
If your connection is dropping after a couple hours, your router is more than likely on it’s last leg and on the way out...

More accurately, it's fine for a week-or-so then suddenly devices (wired and wireless) start dropping connection over the period of around 2 hours. I was thinking it might be a buffer getting full, but I'm no router expert. Agreed it's time to replace it - I do keep it in a well ventilated area. I'm just waiting for a WiFi 6 mesh system to come out. I'm very impressed with the current Orbi devices - I've setup quite a few of them for clients.

Bottom line, an auto-reboot option seems easy to implement and would solve the problem with my current router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 27 of 46
lyta
Initiate

there are simply too many people needing auto-reboot function, so something is definitely wrong with the software. 

all netgear is doing is asking over and over same boring questions about QoS and firmware instead of giving people solution they want! 

give us auto reboot and we will all be very happy!!!

Message 28 of 46
grizzlechips
Initiate

Also having the same issue.  Every couple of days, upload AND download speeds start dropping drastically (seemingly without any explanation or pattern?) and WIFI becomes unusable.  Our 5 GHz is basically a wasteland right now until we get this sorted.  Restart tends to solve it, but I'm still extremely frustrated that I need to do this manually, or even at all!  My wife works from home and needs to have our connection consistent and strong, and I'm constantly having to apologize for our inconsistent, undependable, and extremely expensive router.  Considering trying out the beta DD-WRT just recently released out of sheer desperation...

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 29 of 46
mghtymat
Initiate

I have to reboot both of my routers once a week. I'm getting ready to upgrade again. However, if a firmware upgrade is doesn't include the auto reboot, i'm finished with netgear. I'm tired of the needs a reboot every week to keep it healthy and me having to go to my basement and the second floor for the AP. I have multiple netgear items (switches, powerline adapters, routers) and have reached my limit. if you don't make it easy for me i will by purchasing a different companies equipment. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 30 of 46
antinode
Guru

> I have to reboot both of my routers once a week. [...]

Why?

> [...] if you don't make it easy for me [...]

"you"?  Do you believe that anyone in authority at Netgear is paying
close attention to this many-months-old meandering thread?

In my opinion, if you can find other equipment which better satisfies
your needs, then you'd be foolish not to switch to it.

Note, however, in this case, no one here knows much about your
particular equipment or situation, or your plans "to upgrade again", so
expecting much to happen because of your complaint might be
over-optimistic for many reasons.  Also, I can't recall a case where
such an ultimatum delivered in these forums has had any visible effect.
But I might have missed something.

Message 31 of 46
IrvSp
Master

I really can't understand the need to reboot, although on occasion I will reboot my R8000, usually when something sort of 'flakey' happens on a few PC's. Usually they don't automatically reconnect on coming out of sleep. However it seems this is always one month or longer from the last boot.

There are ways to handle it externally. I've got a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD. Using its PowerPanel Business Edition S/W you can schedule a shutdown and restore power time. I assume cheaper AVR units would work the same. Don't need a large one for a router.

Message 32 of 46
twokatmew
Guide

I'm with you. Back when I had a slower connection, I ran DD-WRT on my routers. It was very easy to schedule an auto-reboot at any frequency. I chose weekly, and I never woke up (or came home) to find my connection down and my smart home, dumb. Now that I have gigabit fiber, I need every ounce of power the router has, so I use stock firmware. This is where I really miss the auto-reboot feature. I won't buy Netgear again unless they add an auto-reboot feature. Simple to do, and it makes life much easier.

Message 33 of 46
twokatmew
Guide

Having to use an external UPS to auto-reboot the router is rediculous! Not everyone has or wants a UPS, and of those of us who do, we may have other things plugged into said UPS that we DON'T want restarted. 

Message 34 of 46
IrvSp
Master

@twokatmew wrote:

Having to use an external UPS to auto-reboot the router is rediculous! Not everyone has or wants a UPS, and of those of us who do, we may have other things plugged into said UPS that we DON'T want restarted. 

True, but it was only a suggestion. I live in 'thunder and lightning area', I really need it. Even helped during a recent hurricane, only modem and router are on it and it stayed up for an additional 4 hours (those 2 are light loads) after we lost home power.

Message 35 of 46
Jrobbio
Aspirant

I have gigabit fibre and just use the Netgear as an access point rather than the supplier provided device due to the superior WiFi. I would say the requirement to restart has increased since going to a higher bandwidth service. The number of devices hasn't really changed.
I am toying with the idea of putting a smart meter on the router and simply power cycling it daily. Would have much preferred to done it via software, but it ceases to communicate with the router and I can't get DHCP IPs to remotely reboot it, so going for this workaround.
Now that I don't need a VDSL optimised router, I will probably replace it in the future with something from the new WiFi 6 protocol, which Netgear have. If it's running on similar code, I may not.
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 36 of 46
Cloudysky
Aspirant

"I really can't understand the need to reboot" - and yet you gave an answer to the question you can't really understand as to why you need to reboot. Okay?

Anyway, there are reasons to why you should - sometimes your silly internet decides to slow down or just halt altogether. For example (and some have been mentioning a similar situation), I was overseas and I've received a message on my phone that one of my cameras at home has disconnected. Well wouldn't it be swell if the router can just FIX this problem without needing myself to go all the way back home and manually reboot the damn thing. Now I am not an I.T expert by all means, but it seems like the most simplist solution for this would be for the Netgear router to detect when there's no incoming internet connection it will REBOOT! 

Seems like a nice feature to have to switch on of off if needed. And if there is a feature already then can someone please explain how to do it on my nighthawk r7000p PLEASE!

thanks

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 37 of 46
Ganzorig
Aspirant

Auto reboot and lease time needed
Message 38 of 46
Joosen
Aspirant

I have a R6400V2 and the internet connection stays fine. But after a week or so, ALL port forwards die on me...
I already did a port cleanup, currently have 8 forwards active. But still it breaks, this is extremely annoying because I can't reach my NAS when i'm out and about.

Strongly thinking about switching to another brand because this is hopeless. At least give us schedule reboot as a fallback.

When I reboot everything is OK for another week....

Router ventilation is fine, it's sitting behind a modem with DMZ to the R6400.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 39 of 46
dalepa
Aspirant

+1 on auto reboot.   Same problem here, my D7000 needs a reboot at least once a month or it locks up.   

would like an auto reboot on loss of internet.  if the internet is unavaiable for X hours, then reboot.   problem solved.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 40 of 46
reeffish
Aspirant

My Nighthawk AC 1900 R6900P MU-MMO router has dropped connection a few times (~5) since I bought it. I have had it for 2 weeks. I was also researching an auto reboot option but it is not available. From all I read, you should assign your devices to the different bandwidths (2.4 or 5 ghz).

I found a quick and easy option to reboot when my router drops.

1. open Nighthawk app

2.touch the "house" icon in the top left corner

3.touch the "gear" icon (settings)

4.touch "router settings"

5. scroll down and touch "reboot"

Quick and easy. Hope it helps.

Message 41 of 46
capilano
Star

I had MR60 for 2 weeks (it's not in the model selection list). Now every morning a few of my devices can't connect to the internet. Once I reboot the router, problem is solved. My router firmware is up-to-date. Can't think of anything else except eco this request. Netgear - if your dev team can't keep your dev quality and QA up to prevent memory leaks, etc. issues, at least provide an auto reboot feature. There're posts requesting this feature for years. What are you doing?!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 42 of 46
blueskull51
Aspirant

I would like to chime in here as well; and would hope Netgear would pay attention, because like a lot of you, I as a customer am frustrated to the point of never buying netgear again.

As a matter of fact, its already happened - I bought a Linksys to use as my core router because the netgear nighthawk just kept bogging down/freezing up after a few weeks.  

I since put it into AP mode and use it as an AP on my top floor.... and yet i still have to reboot it every few weeks as devices start dropping off and i start getting "password incorrect" on mobile devices and laptops.   I reboot and they all reconnect with no problem.

There is definitely some sort of issue with these routers and netgear is oblivious to it and/or doesn't care.

Message 43 of 46
blueskull51
Aspirant

WOW!!!  Things are even worse than I thought.

I just logged in to check on things and went to my firmware settings.

Looked at the settings and  "Auto Update Firmware" is selected.

Went ahead and clicked "Check firmware" - came back with message "Firmware up to date".

Then went to website and saw that I'm actually several versions behind!!!!  I have the R7900P.  Will be buying another linksys and throwing this piece of garbage in the trash.

WTH NETGEAR!  Thanks for exposing me to security risks by making me think my router is being upated when its not.......   DONE WITH NETGEAR.

Message 44 of 46
reeffish
Aspirant

I have not had problems with my router crashing lately. Yet, I have not had numerous devices logged in for a while. I also am unable to update my routers firmware via the Nighthawk app.

I checked my firmware version this morning aand was surprised to see I was way behing for an update. Attempted to update via app, and came back "firmware up to date". I checked Netgear website and found I was numerous versions behind.

Since app not updating, downloaded the up to date firmware version, connected my laptop to router (ehternet port), accessed my router directly through web browser and went into advanced settings and manually downloaded updated firmware to router.

Now app shows firmware updated version (V1.3.2.124_10.1.64) as well as the routers settings when connected via ethernet.

Super big pain in the ass since Netgear touts theor app and ease of use. I am going to contact Netgear to find out why updating via app does not work

Hope this helps

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 45 of 46
Joosen
Aspirant

Netgear clearly doesn't care about their customers.
No reaction after MONTHS.

When you spend good money for a Netgear product that Sucks A**, Netgear doesn't give a SH**, we already have your money so F*** off annoying customer!

NETGEAR: NEVER AGAIN.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements