Automate Wireless On and Off Time

FlyingSaucer
Luminary

Automate Wireless On and Off Time

Hello All!

I just ordered this router, I heard it has fantastic range and other really good features which I can't wait to find out about and use.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I searched for it, one thing I could not find out.
Since the Router has such a tremendous reach and signal strenght it must use a lot of power (I think I read power consumption is quite high).
So I though, maybe there is something like an Auto Power / Energy Save Feature? Like a Timer Clock. Can you set times, to which the Router automatically turns off the wireless signal? For example, While I am at work, I don't need Wireless, or while I am sleeping. So it would be absolutely fabulous if I could set times to save energy (and reduce stray signals - who knows what they can do to your cells...joking).

Does anyone know if you can do something like that? I am just too lazy to press that Wireless on / off button all the time...and too forgetful.

Thanks for helping me out!!
Message 1 of 8
Redtulips7
Luminary

Re: Automate Wireless On and Off Time

You have read wrong!!!power consution is very low compared to WNDR3800 router so it's very energy efficient..yes you can set times if you want it...
Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 2 of 8
FlyingSaucer
Luminary

Redtulips7,

thanks for your quick reply. Good to hear, that the R7000 is both energy saving and so advanced that it is possible to set those times.

Have you ever used that feature? Can you set different profiles for different days? For example, on the weekdays I don't want WiFi On during the day, while I do want that on the weekend.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Here is some to follow up with. Does not list R7000 but been R6300 is close 802.11AC router so I would expect some close consumption

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23003/~/maximum-power-consumption-for-netgear-wifi-rou...

Schedule is quite limited for wifi and only other way to fully shut down the router with other means of power timer stuff but probably that would be pain for some broadband connection.

I would give support some suggestion from my.netgear.com portal for figure enhancement
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can set multiple events to turn off radio or radios.
Message 5 of 8
FlyingSaucer
Luminary

@jmizoguchi
thanks for digging that out. 36W seem quite hight for a router...

@searay
good to hear, thanks for that. looking forward to using that router!
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

That 3amp pull in 12v on DC side usually most router run and I think R7000 uses 12v-4amp power supply
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
Cybercare
Luminary

R7000 is less vs. what that list R6300 for.

R6300 had a v2 which further reduced it's power.

Another simple way to look at it is compare the router PSU to any other router PSU, it's much smaller vs. the older ones.

It's roughly half the original R6300.

Here are some third party shares:

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5198/14/netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-review-the-new-boss-test-resu...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E