Automatic Firmware Update

jstenuf
Aspirant

Automatic Firmware Update

My wifi locked up and 0n 5/19/2018. After gaining acces to the router I found the following in the "logs": [Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.46] Saturday, May 19, 2018 11:36:44. This happened automaticlly without any action on my part. There is no setting I can find that allows for auto firmware updates.  Did anyone else have this same experience? I am concerned that I may have been hacked some how. 

Thanks in advance

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Re: Automatic Firmware Update

Well, do you KNOW the firmware was updated? Initial release of that F/W was Mar. 7th... surely if you had Auto-Update it might have happened earlier?

Do you KNOW  if you had a power drop at that time? The log would look the same from a power up on the router. Your log and if you had a power up and wireless devices with the setting to log wireless connects would show them slightly after that.

Message 2 of 8
jstenuf
Aspirant

The firmware was updated.  There was no power outage.

Message 3 of 8
IrvSp
Master

What firmware did you have before? Maybe it had the capability?

When you say "My wifi locked up and 0n 5/19/2018. After gaining acces to the router" just how did you gain access? What time was it? Did you power off and on?

Message 4 of 8
jstenuf
Aspirant

I assume you are trying to be helpful, but none of your questions really address my issue. 

I

Message 5 of 8

@jstenuf wrote:

I assume you are trying to be helpful, but none of your questions really address my issue. 

I

Possibly because it is hard to understand what you are talking about. Nor is it obvious to me what your "issue" is.

The bit in your first message:

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.46] Saturday, May 19, 2018 11:36:44

is just telling you that the router turned on and Initialized itself. It is not telling you that the firmware was updated.

Anorak that I am, my routers are set up to email me the logs, so I see that line many times.

Netgear does not automatically update firmware on Nighthawk routers without giving users the option to turn it off.

Newer versions of firmware seem to be introducing this to existing models, so manuals might not reflect that. My R7800 is sitting on a shelf at the moment while I do beta tests on something else. But the R7000P I now run has this feature, with the "turn it off" option.

Here's a test. Power down your router. Turn it back on. Read the logs.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 8
microchip8
Master

I have the R7800 on stock firmware and there is no auto-update option. I'm running the latest one, which I had to manually flash. I don't know why you think your firmware was auto-updated. It is just telling you it was initializing itself

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 7 of 8

@microchip8 wrote:

I don't know why you think your firmware was auto-updated.

Paranoia?

It would help if there were an easy to find crib sheet on what the logs show.

For a start, that could explain that some of those DDoS alerts are no such thing.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements