Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BATTERY THIRSTY ARMOR-BITDEFENDER VPN BLOCKS INTERNET WHILE ON CELLULAR NETWORK

Tico_Man
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

It seems like it's impossible to disable ARMOR VPN without losing access to the internet while on cellular network. Let me explain a little more:

My nightmare started when I noticed that ARMOR started to drain the battery on my iPhone 12 (OS 15.6) which seems to happen to others as well. As a result, I decided to first disable ‘web protection’ so I could test my theory, before cancelling my subscription or deleting the App. 

It turns out that when the app is disabled the battery seems to last longer under the same conditions (Wi-Fi all day in the office, etc.), but certain apps are no longer able to connect to the internet while on cellular. Some of the apps/sites that would lose access include Outlook (Hotmail), Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, iCloud, etc. However, some others would still work, such as Netgear (of course), LinkedIn, NYTimes, among others. Hotmail shows this message every 5 min.: 'Cannot Verify Server Identity The identity of m.hotmail.com cannot be verified'

Hence, after experiencing first-hand how bad this app is, I decided to cancel my subscription and delete it; but it just made it worse because my phone is pretty much useless when on cellular. Netgear customer service is not knowledgeable enough and has kept my case open for a while now, which is why I decided to post here. I also have the same exact issue when using Bitdefender VPN: When the daily 200MB limit is up, the apps mentioned above will lose access while on cellular network only. 

I've read other posts about people having similar issues and recommending disabling Armor directly from the router using the Nighthawk app, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks for reading...

Link https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/BATTERY-THIRSTY-ARMOR-BITDEFENDER-VPN-BLOCKS-INTERNET... 

Message 4 of 4
Tico_Man
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

It seems like it's impossible to disable ARMOR VPN without losing access to the internet while on cellular network. Let me explain a little more:

My nightmare started when I noticed that ARMOR started to drain the battery on my iPhone 12 (OS 15.6) which seems to happen to others as well. As a result, I decided to first disable ‘web protection’ so I could test my theory, before cancelling my subscription or deleting the App. 

It turns out that when the app is disabled the battery seems to last longer under the same conditions (Wi-Fi all day in the office, etc.), but certain apps are no longer able to connect to the internet while on cellular. Some of the apps/sites that would lose access include Outlook (Hotmail), Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, iCloud, etc. However, some others would still work, such as Netgear (of course), LinkedIn, NYTimes, among others. Hotmail shows this message every 5 min.: 'Cannot Verify Server Identity The identity of m.hotmail.com cannot be verified'

Hence, after experiencing first-hand how bad this app is, I decided to cancel my subscription and delete it; but it just made it worse because my phone is pretty much useless when on cellular. Netgear customer service is not knowledgeable enough and has kept my case open for a while now, which is why I decided to post here. I also have the same exact issue when using Bitdefender VPN: When the daily 200MB limit is up, the apps mentioned above will lose access while on cellular network only. 

I've read other posts about people having similar issues and recommending disabling Armor directly from the router using the Nighthawk app, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 4

Re: BATTERY THIRSTY ARMOR-BITDEFENDER VPN BLOCKS INTERNET WHILE ON CELLULAR NETWORK

This happens on a particular Netgear device? They aren't all the same.

Armor has its own bolt hole:

NETGEAR Armor - NETGEAR Communities

You might do better to try there.

Message 2 of 4
Tico_Man
Aspirant

Re: BATTERY THIRSTY ARMOR-BITDEFENDER VPN BLOCKS INTERNET WHILE ON CELLULAR NETWORK

Thanks I'll try there. 

BTW I have a MK62 Nighthawk Mesh System at home, but this issue is limited to my iPhone which has the nighthawk app on it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/BATTERY-THIRSTY-ARMOR-BITDEFENDER-VPN-BLOCKS-INTERNET... 

Message 3 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7