Re: BT Sport Drops After 30 Mins Nighthawk R9000

DJLOCK085
Luminary

BT Sport Drops After 30 Mins Nighthawk R9000

Just switched over to an R9000 X10 NighHawk. Very happy with it other than the fact that I’m having problems with BT Sport TV via multicast (previously using BT propriety Home Hub). There are a lot of posts already about this subject already and I had initial success enabling IGMP proxying and support for BT IGMP proxying in the advanced WAN settings (which most posts point to as solution).

Bizarrely now, the BT Sport channels will work for approx 30 minutes before dropping to a black screen (with no error message). If you check the YouView (Humax) box connection status when this happens, the box is still connected. I tried a static IP address on the YouView box in case it was a DHCP issue but this hasn’t made a difference (as expected). Router has also been rebooted following IGMP proxying enabled.

This morning I tried a factory reset on the YouView box which led to the channels not working again (black screen and no error message) upon the box restarting. I then disabled IGMP proxying in the router before re-enabling it which got the channels work again. I’m fairly confident that they’ll drop out in another 30 minutes. 

Setup is Openreach modem > R9000 > Netgear GS105 switch > YouView box

This is obviously frustrating and I’m now pretty stumped. Any ideas on what else this could be? I’m guessing it’s either an issue with the Netgear switch (I may try a dedicated cable connection between the box and the router - although this always worked with the Home Hub) or a more sophisticated setting within the router?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
d10brp
Luminary

R8000 here. Similar situation. I was running the white openreach modem to my X6 and then to the YouView UHD box and couldn't get the picture to hold consistently, particularly for UHD. Haven't tried since the latest firmware update but what I did was swap out the openreach modem for a BT HH5 with WiFi disabled and all firewall etc. off and connected the YouView box to the HH instead of the X6, no issues since. Not an ideal solution but my network seems as stable as when I was using the openreach modem. My network needs are fairly light but I need my alarm system and central heating to have reliable connections to the internet, this didn't happen using BT hardware only but works fine with the HH5->X6 setup I'm running now.
Message 2 of 9
DJLOCK085
Luminary

I was thinking about having to go down this road. Having a load of wireless problems this morning too so going to do a full factory reset on the router and try and get the basics working again. How did you achieve this setup - is the Nighthawk in AP mode?

Message 3 of 9
d10brp
Luminary

No it isn't in AP mode. My setup is...

HH5:

Setup custom IP gateway and limited DHCP range (Adv settings -> Home Network -> IP Adresses)

Disable wifi (Adv settings -> Home Network -> Wireless)

Assign IP address to the R8000 (Adv settings -> Home Network -> Devices). Place it in the DMZ (Adv settings -> Firewall -> DMZ)

Disable Firewall (Adv settings -> Firewall -> Config)

X6:

Follow setup, when asked if your internet connection requires a password, select no.

Make sure IP gateway differs from the one of the HH5

Set DHCP range as a different range to the HH5

As I said, this isn't ideal and I've seen posts stating you can't really run a HH5 in a modem mode but this seems as close to that as you can get. For me, it has been very stable over the past few months and BT Sport UHD works.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 9
SkimPappa
Luminary

I would guess it is the same issue described in several other long threads where the X10 drops connections frequently. There had been several beta versions of the firmware that have greatly improved (if not completely fixed) the issue. 

You can can see the other thread about it for instructions to join the beta, or just wait and hope they release the update soon.

Mine dropped several times an hour before, and hasn’t once since Using the updated beta firmware.

Message 5 of 9
DJLOCK085
Luminary

@d10brp - thanks for setup guidance.

@SkimPappa - sorry for being lazy - would you mind pointing me in the direction of the right thread as I’ve seen a couple and want to make sure I’m on the right track. After factory reset this morning my house alarm can’t even see either the 2.4G or 5G networks from the router. I haven’t connected any smart devices yet (noticed this morning an issue initially as one of my Echo’s had lost it’s connection). The WiFi seems to be stable on my phone / tablet. Really quite odd. Possible the router was damaged in transit so possible return to the vendor but concerned about replacing it with another R9000 if the same issues are going to be present. 

Message 6 of 9
SkimPappa
Luminary

Sure, it was right here

If you are finding 1.0.4.12 unbearable due to the WiFi issues request access to the beta currently at 1.0.4.26.  You’ll need to DM @ChristineT or @Christian_R to grant you access to the beta download.  So far it’s been better for my WiFi problems.  The more of us testing this the faster it ca get to production for everyone else.

Message 7 of 9
DJLOCK085
Luminary

Ok so slight development with me - main issue was the fact that my house alarm couldn’t even detect the R9000’s networks. As a last resort I turned off 60G and 5G and the alarm panel immediately picked up the 2.4G. Since then everything’s been fine for a few hours with all devices remaining connected and no drops that I’ve noticed. Will keep an eye on things for the next 24 hours.
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@DJLOCK085 wrote:
main issue was the fact that my house alarm couldn’t even detect the R9000’s networks.

Does the undefined house alarm system have some local controls to configure the wireless or is there an App used to configure the alarm system?

@DJLOCK085 wrote:
As a last resort I turned off 60G and 5G and the alarm panel immediately picked up the 2.4G. 

If the alarm panel does only use 2.4 GHz it can connect to the R9000 like any other wireless router or access point - disabling the 5 GHz and 60 GHz (have any 802.11ad clients at all?) does not change anything. A 2.4 GHz client can associate with the R9000 2.4 GHz radio regardless.

@DJLOCK085 wrote:
Since then everything’s been fine for a few hours with all devices remaining connected and no drops that I’ve noticed. Will keep an eye on things for the next 24 hours.

Is this on the released firmware or on the ongoing Beta? Strongly encourage you for heading to the Beta firmware.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E