Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 'Back to My Mac' and UPnP

tjhcom
Tutor

'Back to My Mac' and UPnP

I have an R9000 and an iMac configured as a file server.  Also have a separate MacBook Pro.  I've configured file sharing, screen sharing and 'Back to My Mac', in order to access the iMac when I'm not connected to my home network.  It works.  However, when I am not in my home network, the service is very slow.  I checked the configuration on the MacBook Pro when outside of the home network, and to the right of the 'Back to My Mac' icon (in iCloud configuration), a cautionary message appears:  'Back to My Mac may be slow because NAT Port Mapping (NAT-PMP) or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is turned off on your router. Turn on NAT-PMP or UPnP.'

My UPnP is turned on.  Any ideas for what I might do differently?  Any different configurations on the R9000? BTW I've already cleaned keychain, turned Back to My Mac and Sharing off and on as well as re-installed the entire OS on the iMac.  I've also attempted to setup port forwarding for every port Apple indicates is used by the service Back to My Mac, which shouldn't be necessary since it uses UPnP but I tried it anyway, without success.  Once again, I have the service working - it is just very slow (especially the file sharing).   Thanks for any ideas!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tjhcom
Tutor

Update: I believe my router is working properly, and that the warning message I am seeing relates to my Verizon Hotspot as a router vs. my Netgear.  Just FYI.  Once confimed, I will close this case.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
tjhcom
Tutor

Update: I believe my router is working properly, and that the warning message I am seeing relates to my Verizon Hotspot as a router vs. my Netgear.  Just FYI.  Once confimed, I will close this case.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 3
tjhcom
Tutor

The specific feature I am using, which is a built-in feature of MacOS, is 'Back to My Mac'.  This feature permits file sharing and screen sharing, between two macs that are not on the same network.  In order to support this feature, you must have UPnP enabled on the router (or alternatively, in theory, go through an arduous process of opening a slew of individual ports that support Back to My Mac).  Does this answer your question?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7