Bandwidth Control

JSG517
Aspirant

Bandwidth Control

I just purchased the Nighthawk X4 r7500 and so far I am enjoying this router.

That said, I am having some difficulty managing high traffic over my network and would like to see support for bandwidth controls so that I might impose a cap on certain devices or throttle them down. In my case, I am seeing devices (like the kid’s computers and cellphones) on my network regularly using up huge amounts of bandwidth. My WISP charges a costly penalty if we exceed our monthly 100GB data cap, so some ingress/egress flow controls would be a nice added feature for me.

I do own a TP-Link router that supports such QoS flow control features that work nicely, but then I would have to setup the r7500 as an AP and lose the features and QoS I enjoy from this router. At that point I have an expensive wireless AP when my previous setup – as far as wireless signal goes – was great… considering the cost. If only there were a way to use both routers in one network while maintaining the QoS support of each device. :confused:

Overall great router but I would really like to see bandwidth controls. Also, I’m using beta v1.0.0.74 and it is working good for me. Nice to have control over device priority.
Message 1 of 5
cyc69
Guide

Re: Bandwidth Control

Yes this would be a really useful addition to the router, I love the qos Smiley Very Happy and now the ability to edit device priority but several of the device's have hogged all the connection when either downloading update such as destiny on xbox 1 which took all the connection to skybox using upto a third of the connection to stream films when this happens youtube and facebook were unworkable for my wife :eek: and the little one could not watch her cbeebies iplayer :rolleyes:
Message 2 of 5
JSG517
Aspirant

Exactly what was happening on my network. One device hogs huge amounts of bandwidth and other device suffer and browsing becomes unbearable in some cases. Even low priority devices have bogged down the network. I have a WISP with 50/20 Mbps.
Message 3 of 5
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Configure the traffic meter feature of the router to manage the bandwidth of your Internet connection. Check the link below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24225
Message 4 of 5
cyc69
Guide

Yes I had a look at this and indeed have it on and would be great if I could apply the limit to individual devices rather than the internet as a whole.There seems to be no way of restricting lan side devices from downloading to the max ability of the wan connection.
It is similar to this on a draytek router that I have used at work before http://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_session_limit.html.
If there is a way to do this could you explain how I would go about applying this to individual devices as I am unable to work out this from the explanation given on the link.

Thanks
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E