Bandwidth

CCarter80
Aspirant

Bandwidth

I am having multiple problems and do not know where to begin.  I upgraded my internet speed from 25mb to 100mb and started having issues with devices not connecting to wifi and others not getting enough bandwidth to open apps.  I had a netgear r6250 router.  Cable company suggested upgrading to the netgear nighthawk.  i purchased the nighthawk R8000P.  I am still having the same issues, but only with certain devices.  Hard wiring a laptop i can get 98mb, but only 32mb wifi.  On a Xbox One (wireless) gets speeds at 95mb and PS4 only 60mb.  I have 2 Sharp tvs that say the wifi password is not correct and will connect on its own within 30 minutes. I have a 3 Samsung tvs that will connect, but only at 45mb.  I tried plugging one of the tvs hardwire and still only get 45mb.  Now as of now, these are the only devices on this router and are within no more than 30 feet from the router.  ive split these devices between the three bands, but some of these devices will only find the 2.4ghz.  I am not sure if this is relevant or not. 

Hooked wireless:

2 Samsung tvs  45mb

2 Sharp tvs  Connects then doesnt connect, says incorrect password, but 30mb once connected

1 Xbox One  95mb

1 PS4 60mb

1 Laptop 32mb

Hooked Wired:

1 Samsung tv

1 laptop 98mb 

I know i am all over the place with these issues, but i am hoping someone can point me a direction.  Thanks in advance.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Whoaru99
Apprentice

Re: Bandwidth

Did you happen, coincidentally, to update the router firmware or anything like that about the same time?

Have you power cycled the modem and router after the bandwidth upgrade? If not, I would do that first.

Unplug the power from the modem and the router.

Wait a minute or two.

Power up the modem and wait until its indicator lights show it's back on-line. This may take a minute or two.

Power up the router and wait until it is back up and running. This also may take a minute or two or three.

Test the system.

If that doesn't do anything for you, I'd be tempted to reset the router to factory defaults and start over with the setup. Probably I would to the power cycle modem and router thing again after resetting to defaults.

As well, I think I'd try to keep the network as simple as possible for starters, e.g. not trying to segregate things too much. I set up all my media/connected home stuff on the 2.3GHz band before even turning on the 5GHz band. Generally speaking, TVs and all that don't need a bunch of bandwitth. Something like Netflix streaming needs only 5Mb/s for HD or 25Mb/s for UHD.

Message 2 of 7
CCarter80
Aspirant

Well these same problems were happening on the old router too.  i installed the new router last night and did a firmware update at that time.  

i followed the install instructions which is just like what you described.  i did that on the old router too.  so with the new router, once it was set up and connected to internet, i tried my laptop wirelessly and this was the ONLY device on the router and it was sitting inches from it and only got 32mb, but plugged in hard wired, 98mb.  im not sure if it is an issue with my devices since the old router did the same thing.  

im trying to keep it as simple as possible, but really none of it makes any sense for it not to work.  i get that i will have less bandwidth on wireless devices, but im wondering if some of these devices can only handle so much.  For instance, the PS4 does not support 5G, but the Xbox One does and gets way more bandwidth.

Message 3 of 7
Whoaru99
Apprentice

Do you know for sure what the specs are / make and model of the WiFi adapter in the laptop?

I have a somewhat older laptop I use on occasion and it was getting only around 25-30Mb/s from my WiFi but it was just a "G" WiFi card inside. I replaced it with a somewhat newer internal card that had "N" capability and the bandwidth/speed went way up.

Message 4 of 7
CCarter80
Aspirant

I will check that.  Im thinking that my problem is my devices, but i dont know what to look for in the specs to know if they are capable of handling that much bandwidth.  Especially on the tvs.  

Message 5 of 7
Whoaru99
Apprentice

I wouldn't worry so much about the TVs right now. They really don't take that much bandwidth as mentioned before.

For the WiFi adapter in your laptop(?) you should be able to go to Device Manager > Network Adapters to see what is listed. Once you know what it has then you can more easily understand if what you see is correct or not for the hardware.

FYI, I just did a small test with that laptop I mentioned. If I set it up to be just B/G then I can only get about 26Mb/s download. When I turn on the N capability, using the 2.3GHz band, it goes up to 100Mb/s download speed. 

Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Speed over wireless may not be the same as wired. Wireless speed depends on the h/w capabilty, and that usually would be listed by the 802.11 speed, usually today G or N. Also the SSID band itself. Then the device capability, and distance from the router.

For instance, G speed could be up to 300Mbps but some are 150Mbps. Those are ideal connection speeds and are 2.4Ghz only. In practice it can be quite a bit lower. Distance also plays into this, it would be faster closer to the router.

Interior walls that the signal has to go trough will also slow it down, as would interference from motors, microwaves, and cordless phones. 5Ghz speeds would not suffer from those but the signal doesn't go as far as 2.4Ghz does, but wall contents will lower the distance.

N Speed usually connects at 866Mbps and would get much faster speeds in real life than G Speed.

Lastly is the device itself. Also the number of Antenae's it has. More of them, the easier it is to handle more signals at the same time (in and out). Case in point for me. Older iPad 2 and 3 we had only would get about 30Mbps on 5Ghz on our ISP 100Mbps line. Got newer iPad Pro's and they get full speed. Apple added antennae's to the Pro's.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E